Differentiating cordon and bush tomato varieties.

• 5 Replies

Bevy

Differentiating cordon and bush tomato varieties.
« on: March 12, 2021, 15:42 »
I received a free packet of Tombola tomato seeds from Plant World Seeds:

"Cordon and bush varieties in all shapes, sizes and colours. You can grow a greenhouse or garden full with these but won't know what you have until they fruit!"

I've planted 20 of these for fun, but I'm not experienced with bush varieties. At what point will I be able to differentiate them so that I know whether to train them as cordons, or not? Any tips for telling the difference?

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
Re: Differentiating cordon and bush tomato varieties.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 16:57 »
I've grown the bush (determinate) variety, and they are like a shrub, normally they are only at most a foot (30cm) high and tend to grow outwards, you should be able to tell the difference by the time the indeterminate (cordon) vine type get going I'd have thought. I may stand corrected, but that's my thoughts on the subject  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 17:07 »
Some bush varieties grow much taller than a foot, so it's not that easy tbh.

Bush varieties grow many branches, but so do cordon varieties if you don't prune them. but the usual wisdom is that each branch on a bush variety makes flowers at the top and then stops growing, whereas a cordon variety carries on growing upward after each flower truss.

Bevy

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 17:53 »
Perhaps I'll able to tell the difference eventually, but if I wait until it's obvious it might be a bit late to start training them.  I've sown 8 other known varieties, so I'm not particularly relying on these 'unknowns', but thought it would be interesting to try them.  Hubby reckons that they're just the floor sweepings after all the seeds were packeted!  :)

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 12:38 »
Determinate types will self- limit their upward growth and branching, usually 1 to 1.5 meters high.  They will produce most blooms and fruit over a short season. However, if you have a long growing season, healthy determinate tomatoes do produce a later flush of blooms and fruit, after the first fruits are gone.

Cordon types, we call indeterminate here. They keep growing taller and keep branching. Look up the Guinness World Record, grown hydroponically in the UK, 19.8 meters tall and full of fruit!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 12:42 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Bevy

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 18:06 »
I'm afraid my 'indeterminates' will be limited to the size of your American 'determinates'. My greenhouse simply isn't tall enough!  :lol:

xx
Rosella bush or cordon

Started by Annad83 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 12:53
by Annad83
xx
cordon or bush plum toms?

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 13, 2010, 20:06
by penance
xx
Cordon or bush tomatoes? help with mystery plants and named var. please?

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 05, 2012, 17:15
by BabbyAnn
xx
Differentiating Strawberry Plants?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 04, 2014, 22:55
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 41 queries.