Fostering another dog for a few days...and now another dog

• 22 Replies

Oliveview

We had Shannon a refuge dog sterilised on Thursday evening, the vet dressed her in a body stocking after the operation.  All went well.  Last night it was discovered Shannon had pulled off the body stocking and ripped out the stitches, so now part of her insides are outside.  She is bandaged back up with the body stocking and sterile dressing and  wadding (after the 4 layers of sterile dressing) then bandaged up over that.  The vet will be back later today to see her.  She is not in pain, is jumping about.  I have not given her any food, incase it is part of her stomach or something like that poking out!  Anyway, she will be getting another anaesthetic today!  She now has a plastic bucket on her head, boy did she fight to get it off, she managed, so now all the tabs are stuck in place with layers of duck tape, she can´t get it off now :lol: She is wearing Timon´s collar, I hope he does not run off before we can get him a new collar, as he has no name tag on.
Our Lola ripped out her stitches, but luckily everything stayed inside and she was put back together with steri-strips and lots of dressing and a big bandage and then a plastic ´hat´.
Why do they hurt so much when they catch the back of your legs?? :ohmy:

Pamela
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 19:43 by oliveview »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Fostering another dog for a few days
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 09:58 »
that is why we bought our Rosie an inflatable ring when we had her done, she could't reach her stitches and if she banged into us it didn't hurt our legs  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Oliveview

Re: Fostering another dog for a few days
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 19:42 »
Shannon went back all fine, so today in her place we have Tibet, a small Jack Russell type, he is about 1 year old.  For some reason the top if his Femur bone has died, so today he had an operation to cut the dead bit out (lack of blood there)  so he is now staying in our bathroom until he can go back to the refuge, which should be about 2 weeks time.
Last week he was at the vets having all his long hair cut off, he was covered in ticks, he had a bad leg so I asked the vet to check it and it was discovered the problem was far worse than a pulled muscle as suspected. The vet is brilliant about payments, we can pay monthly  :D 
I will post a photo of Tibet soon

Pamela

Trillium

Re: Fostering another dog for a few days...and now another dog
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 22:25 »
The dogs are extremely fortunate to have yo around, Pamela.  8)

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 22:47 »
They sure are  :)  A good vet too is worth his/her weight in gold. Good luck that all goes well with your latest charges  :)

Oliveview

Here is Tibet, he looks far better with all his fur! The shaved look is not a good look for him.

Pamela

Trillium

Aw, poor baby. The size of that repair looks like it was something nasty.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
He has a lovely face - it must be so hard to part with them when you have nursed them back to health (I know I couldn't!)
Keep up the good work Pamela and keep posting - I always enjoy reading your posts  :)

Oliveview

He did have lots of long fur, and sadly over 200 ticks :ohmy: he was what you would call a 'tick magnet'  :tongue2: looking as he does now he isn' t a chick magnet!! :lol:
He is hopping about and putting his leg down a bit. I am working at the refuge on Sunday so I will take him to see his room mates, so they do not forget him. He will be here for about 2 weeks I think.  It will be hard to say goodbye, but the refuge is nice. The vet who visits each week says it is the cleanest and the dogs the  healthiest she has seen, and she visits lots of refuges. She is very impressed with what we do.

Pamela
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 18:42 by oliveview »

Oliveview

A Tibet update-
Still not using his leg, but he puts it down now and again, the vet said it will be a slow progress.  He has very little muscle in that leg, as he had not used it for a while, so it needs to build up. 
He is clean in the house  :D  Much to our surprise!!  He has been sleeping in the bathroom, but last night he slept in the living room, hopefully in his bed and not on the sofa  :lol:
We went to the vet with him yesterday, he was a good dog, he walked on his lead- for the first time, we were in the town for ages, lots of folk asked if he had been in an accident! 
I am taking him back to the refuge tomorrow, to see his pals, so they do not forget him, he will come back here after I have cleaned there.
It will be hard taking him back in a couple of weeks time, how foster parents cope I do not know, especially long term foster carers! 

Pamela

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 09:13 »
Poor dog! He has been in the wars but he's found you now  :D  He looks a little beauty and someone will surely want to take him off your hands. It needs to be a safe pair of hands though as he's suffered so much already. Imagine 200 ticks! They must have bled him dry  >:(

Good for you to have your work appreciated by a professional  :)  It must lift your spirits to have your work glowingly affirmed. It must give you enthusiasm to carry on. That, and your needy rescues  :)

Oliveview

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 22:43 »
Poor Tibet has even had ticks on him since being here-  our dogs have had none, they flock to Tibet!  He was sprayed along his spine with the proper anti-tick spray- but he still gets them!  I will try to post a picture of him with hair tomorrow- he is gorgeous with hair :D
He and his Mum Aida used to escape regularly from the refuge, we just did not know where they were getting out- they were spotted one day, on their hind legs squeezing along a gap between a fence and wall (about 12 feet in length)  :D T :The gap was about 4 inches at the most wide!!  The gap was wired up, so no more away days for the pair of them!  Aida has been adopted by a lady from the refuge, I hope Tibet can find a forever home. He has been no bother at all while here, he has not pee´d or poo´d in the house, much to our surprise.

Pamela

Oliveview

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 17:18 »
A Tibet update.
We were back visiting the vet today, he showed us how to pull Tibets leg to keep what muscle he has flexible, poor Tibet did not like that at all.  He still would not use the leg. We found some steps and walked him up and down them 12 times (I was puffed out) He walked on his leg going up and down.
We were just in the garden planting a rose bush and noticed Tibet walking on all four legs  :D :D :D :D :D :D  What a clever dog he is.  Once he has built up the muscle a bit he will be going back to the refuge, no sofa to sleep on at night (I got up in the night last night and Tibet was curled up on the sofa :lol:)

Off to the refuge, the vet is coming to castrate 2 dogs I think  :D :D

Pamela

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 21:42 »
I hope he manages to walk on four legs all the while from now on.  He sounds as if he was getting well settled in at your house  :)  I bet he won't like it back at the shelter now

Oliveview

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 13:42 »
Tibet has started walking on his bad leg. So hopefully he is on the way up.

Last night it was sad and happy at the refuge, some townhall workers were clearing weeds from the field and they left the gate wide open, (idiots) and 2 dogs, brothers, got out.  The bigger of the brother came back but not the smaller one.  I was on the way to the refuge last night and discovered Negri dead on the road, he had been hit by the car infront of me.  He did not have a mark on him.  I picked him up, he was still warm, so I cuddled him and talked to him.  Then thought how was I going to open the boot, a car came out of the side road, I asked for help, he ignored me.  :mad: 
I took Negri back to the refuge and another volunteer buried him in the field outside the refuge fence.  Poor Negri, he was such a shy dog. We were all feeling pretty sad, but bucked up when a man and his son came to see the German Shepherd pup (found a week ago on a main road in the middle of nowhere, he is about 3 months old) They are going to adopt him  :D  So the evening ended happier than it started.

At the refuge we have 2 steps forward and one back all the time, sometimes I hate it.  But the dogs we have are all lovely, even Rocky the handsome PitBull, he is so lovely.  Last week a Staffy was abandoned in the town, so we have her at the refuge, she is a sweetie, she likes to nibble our clothing. 4  new dogs arrived last week, one who had just had pups, but where they were we do not know, a Podenco, who is terrified, but getting better,  the Staffy and the  the German Shepherd pup.

Pamela

xx
Fostering dogs

Started by twissle on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post October 03, 2010, 16:08
by twissle
xx
We are fostering an injured dog- sad news

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

75 Replies
Last post August 13, 2012, 16:50
by grendel
xx
the last few days

Started by titch on Pets without Feathers

17 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 10:23
by Parsnip
xx
When days get bad at the refuge, they get bad

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

42 Replies
Last post August 17, 2013, 21:56
by shoozie

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 39 queries.