Is She Egg Bound?

• 21 Replies

pookey

• Experienced Member
Is She Egg Bound?
« on: June 04, 2008, 21:13 »
One of my girls was a bit 'down' last night - huddled in the corner with her head sunk.  I gave her a check and there is an egg in the bum pouch bit at the back (not sure what its called!!).

She hasnt laid today and the eggs still there, but she seems okay in herself.

What course of action should I take?
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

Kate and her Ducks

Is She Egg Bound?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 21:18 »
Called the vent and although I have never seen it, it does sound like your girl is egg bound. Hopefully someone who knows more will beable to help you :(
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

treacleminer

Is She Egg Bound?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 21:54 »
Warm bath???? Vaseline???? I think there may be something on the info pages - Good luck, but do find out exactly what to do quickly as being egg-bound can cause problems

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Is She Egg Bound?
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 22:32 »
Quote from: "treacleminer"
Warm bath???? Vaseline????

I'd agree with that but never had to do it myself:

http://www.pekinbantams.com/egg_bound.asp

pookey

• Experienced Member
Is She Egg Bound?
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 23:01 »
Thanks, it seems more serious than I originally thought.  I will get her in a warm bath tomorow and if that doesnt work - its a latex and lube  :shock:

That link is very helpful Aunty (as always :wink: ).  I have printed it out and will follow the steps.  I'll let you know how I get on.  My 3 year old is going to love bathing her!! (just watching of course).

What do I do if she panics when I put her in the water.  I once tried to bath my cat (10 years ago).  I still have the scars - and the cat!!!  The daft moggy was hanging off my face with his claws.  Cats really DONT like water.

peggyprice

Is She Egg Bound?
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 23:07 »
Maybe try wrapping her up tightly in a towel before you dunk her?  Would keep the wings and feet under control, and might even help calm her down a bit (like swaddling a baby  :D ).
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Is She Egg Bound?
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 23:21 »
Handle here carefully, you don't want to break the egg inside her.  If you doyou will have to make sure you carefully remove all the pieces  :shock:

Make sure the water is quite deep so that you dont have to fold her legs into it.  You must have an adult holding her so that you can hold her wings in gently so that she doesn't flap.  Hsve the water at baby bath temperature.

Good luck, let us know how she's doing :!:

pookey

• Experienced Member
Is She Egg Bound?
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 23:39 »
I have one of the old ceramic square belfast sinks in my kitchen so that is very deep - will just have to give it a good disinfect afterwards!!!

pookey

• Experienced Member
Is She Egg Bound?
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 11:00 »
I have just bathed her and she didnt squat in the water she just gave me a look of contempt!  I gave her some porridge and she was in the bath for a good 45 minutes, then I got some lubricant and had a feel inside - the egg was right at the bottom of her pouch and there seemed to be a skin membrane between the egg at the bottom and the cavity I was probing.  I felt for the egg outside and it moved up but it still feels like theres a skin membrane seperating the egg.

If she doesnt lay this morning, I think I may have to take her the vets later this afternoon  :(  She has already cost me £20 in vet bills this year

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Is She Egg Bound?
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 11:42 »
If she doesn't get that egg out soon it WILL kill her  :!:  :(

Foxy

Is She Egg Bound?
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 12:58 »
keep her on something warm like a warmed hot water bottle in a nestbox. The problem is there will be another egg making its way down.
If it doesn't come out it will have to be removed manually.

pookey

• Experienced Member
Is She Egg Bound?
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 18:53 »
I took her to the vets thisafternoon and all is sorted.  It wasnt even an egg I could feel - it was her bladder.  It was rock hard because it was blocked and full.  That was why I could feel the skin membrane on the egg!!!!!

Felt a bit daft, but everything came flooding out on the vets table - there was puddles of it and it smelt awfull.  Hopefully that is sorted now - vet thinks it was a blockage of the bladder  :roll:  

For us newbies, its a learning curve.  I'd rather be over suspicious than let the animal suffer.

Just made a massive carrot cake to cheer meself up!  Syrup is soaking down as theyre cooling and mascarpone topping chilling in the fridge :lol: Slice anyone?

Foxy

Is She Egg Bound?
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 19:02 »
Pheww!!!
What a relief!!!! :lol:

... what love some carrot cake!!! I going to try an make an egg custard after seeing all those recipes recently!
 :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

Is She Egg Bound?
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 19:03 »
Glad your girl is OK. Didn't know that that could happen to chickens!!! Know it happens to humans but usually men of a certain age (the prostate is not always a bonus :D ). Did the vet explain why it happened?

Your cake sounds amazing, send some over!!!

pookey

• Experienced Member
Is She Egg Bound?
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 19:13 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
Glad your girl is OK. Didn't know that that could happen to chickens!!! Know it happens to humans but usually men of a certain age (the prostate is not always a bonus :D ). Did the vet explain why it happened?

Your cake sounds amazing, send some over!!!

vet didnt say why - I asked if it was an infection and did she need any meds but she said no, she seemed in good condition so to leave her and keep a check.

Recipe is Delia Smiths - wish I could claim credit!

xx
egg bound?

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 14, 2014, 18:31
by joyfull
xx
Please Help - Egg Bound?

Started by gallopscarrot on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 22:21
by Foxy
xx
egg bound

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 19:51
by bantam novice
xx
Egg Bound

Started by GREEN FINGERED NOT on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 10, 2012, 16:10
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 39 queries.