Duffins and cronuts etc

• 21 Replies

Mrs Bee

Re: Duffins and cronuts etc
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 11:44 »
I know that it is recommended to reduce the heat by 20 degrees for a fan oven but this is the temperature that my oven works best when cooking cakes.

If you are happy that your oven temperature is accurate then by all means drop the 20 degrees. ;)

allotmentann

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 14:11 »
pleasure, I hope you enjoy the cake.

I use the cheapest sunflower oil available and it tastes fine. You could try a tasteless  vegetable oil. It won't make any difference to the bake of the cake but I prefer pure sunflower oil as you can never be too sure what veg oils are used in the 'vegetable oil'. And I need to be ultra careful when selling to the public.

I would try a cheap sunflower oil.

If you used an organic sunflower oil it might have a stronger taste of the sunflower seeds. This is just a guess.

Have you checked the date on the organic one?

A customer of mine says that she has had my caramelised onion marmalade and someone else's that was made with olive oil and the one with olive oil had a nasty under taste.  She prefers mine, especially as I am cheaper, but mainly for the taste.

And this is the lady who will sit with a spoon and eat the whole jar at one sitting. :lol: :lol: :lol: :ohmy:

Virgin olive oil is for salads, dressings and dips when you need the full taste not for cooking. You need a tasteless light oil.

Even when frying you need a tasteless light olive oil.IMO

I believe you are right about the sunflower oil, I have switched to almost totally organic food. The sunflower oil is a first cold pressed oil, so is probably the flavour equivalent of extra virgin olive oil. I love extra virgin olive oil and cook with it liberally, but I think I need to find a lighter sunflower oil.
As you were saying, I have found that the best ingredients do not always produce the best results! Much as I love olive oil, I don't think I would enjoy its flavour coming through in a marmalade!
I had not realised that you didn't sell all year round. I do appreciate your recipes and tips, as I know they will work! Your delicious chocolate sorbet has been made many times now and is always raved about.    :)

tillyt

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 16:15 »
Thanks Mrs Bee for sharing your secrets, much appreciated. I will look forward to making the cake next week.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 18:47 »
You are most welcome tillyt. Hope you enjoy it.

I don't go out selling in Jan and Feb Ann, 'cos I am no spring chicken and it is *******y cold.

OH has had words with me lately about slowing down and cutting down on the selling because as he said, 'you are supposed to be retired!' He then went out to the garage/his work room, muttering, 'It ain't goin' to happen tho' is it?'

And I have just had the first inquiry for me to go along to a local festival with my cakes from someone who had my cakes at a festival last year. :lol: :lol:

Also most people don't want cake as everyone is dieting after Christmas. :lol: :lol: including me, but I can't stop baking. There are so many recipes I want to try :blush:

I have been test driving cakes,  and icing for my son's wedding this week, but that is now organised so...... what to bake next?  Perhaps I should try dragging people off the street to eat the cakes. :lol: :lol:

Just can't help myself. ::)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 19:19 »
I've made Nigella's doughnut muffins and very nice they are too  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

chrissie B

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 23:11 »
thank you Mrs Bee
knocking off the 20 seems to work for me so I will stick to that .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

allotmentann

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 08:02 »
Yorkie, thank you for that, I will give them a try.   :)

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 37 queries.