HELP, pond pump drained my pond

• 7 Replies

Clarky86

HELP, pond pump drained my pond
« on: May 13, 2019, 07:42 »
Morning all.

As the title says,  my pond pump decided to drain my pond last night.  A hose had somehow come off and during the night id say about 80% of my water is now soaked into my lawn. 

I'm hoping that's it and it's not more sinister and it's an attempt to steal my fish. I've not had a proper chance to see if the fish are still there yet.

I have fish, carp and various grass snakes,  frogs etc.

I'm very concerned for their wellbeing.

I have about 4 water butts to start to fill it but from previous summer's using them to top up, that'll barely touch the water level.

What do I do about using tap water?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Matt

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: HELP, pond pump drained my pond
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 08:04 »
Use the stored water first, then ideally fill the butts with tap water and leave at least 24 hours for the chlorine to disperse and the temperature to reach equilibrium with outdoor conditions.

If you think the situation is more urgent than that you can buy dechlorinating agents from pet shops which enable you to use tap water immediately, subject to its temperature being as close as possible to the water already in the pond.

Good luck!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 09:00 »
If you need to top up with tap water do either as Jayg says or you can set up your hosepipe to spray from a height & that lessons the chlorine, but if you put in the water from your barrels then refill with tap water over night & then repeat until it’s full. Is this pond in your garden? Is it possible to get access to it is that why you feel an attempt to steal them might be an issue?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Clarky86

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 09:29 »
Thankyou so far for both your comments.

I think i will empty the water butts first and then refill with tap water. Like JayG said I'll leave them 24hrs etc and repeat. Will this be long enough to disperse the chlorine?

Are there negatives to using chemicals to de chlorinate water for ponds with wildlife ? Would using tap water that hasn't been treated be more or less deteramental?

Obviously if the fish are still there ( at work and haven't checked and haven't seen them this year yet anyway ) I want to ensure as little cause for endangering them as possible.

Snowdrops, the pond is right out the back of my house,  it's probably a bit unlikely that someone would attempt to steal them as our house is quite secluded and rather tricky to gain access around the back,  but in this day you cannot be sure.  Somebody wants something they'll have it. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 09:48 »
I think i will empty the water butts first and then refill with tap water. Like JayG said I'll leave them 24hrs etc and repeat. Will this be long enough to disperse the chlorine?

Are there negatives to using chemicals to de chlorinate water for ponds with wildlife ? Would using tap water that hasn't been treated be more or less deteramental?

24 hours is long enough to reduce the chlorine levels to acceptable levels (don't cover the butts.)

The chemical is sodium thiosulphate, which reduces the chlorine to harmless chloride ions, which will be in very low concentrations anyway. Much better option than using untreated or 'unweathered' tap water.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 12:23 »
Good morning Clarky86,

I've just emptied my small wildlife pond using the pump to do most of the water shifting.  I refilled it with water from my rainwater butt and it was a delicate shade of green, at great expence I bought a container of "Tetra AlgoRem (clears green water)" and following the instructions applied the stuff. 

The following day all I could see of a change was less green and a floating miasma of stuff.  I cannot recommend this stuff.  I emptied the pond once more and filled it with tap water.  I intend to use the fountain for a week and then introduce some new inabitants,  snails and oxygenating plants.  I may even go to the pond centre and give a reprieve to a few hundred daphnia.  The resident froggy is waiting in the wings.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Clarky86

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 07:39 »
Morning all.

I emptied 4 waterbutts, and 'borrowed' some water from the pond that has no fish in.

I've increased the level to about 60% full.

I filled the 4 waterbutts with tap water which I will treat with a product I will purchase from the aquatics centre later.

I didn't want to risk using standing tap water, but as the pond is looking alot less likely to cause harm to the wildlife in it,  I can take the time to treat water and top it up over the next few days etc.

Still no signs of fish but the water left after the disaster was thick with plants and still about 1 and a half foot deep.  I also believe it to be too cold for them still with night temps here going as low still as 4-5degC.

I'm less concerned now which is good,  let's hope that it hasn't caused too much damage to the ponds life structure.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 08:04 »
Good news, thanks for updating us (if the fish were dying I think you would have seen some evidence of that by now.)

My pond has what seems to be a temporary annual affliction with a rust coloured algae which rises to the top when the sun shines and obscures any view of the goldfish - hopefully that and the netting will thwart the efforts of a heron which makes frequent visits to see if it can get lucky...  :wacko:

xx
Pond Pump advice please.

Started by richyrich7 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 25, 2007, 21:08
by richyrich7
xx
Greetings from across 'The Pond'

Started by Coltar223 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 10:31
by chimaera
xx
A pond for Ben

Started by iggyboy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 17:34
by iggyboy
xx
my pond

Started by new_2_veg on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post September 27, 2007, 21:15
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.