Sad I Know But... (with pics)

• 20 Replies

allotmentann

Re: Sad I Know But... (with pics)
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 06:03 »
Hi Goldfinger, I don't know much, but potting tomato stems deeper was something I researched last year (it was great for my leggy tomatoes), the information I found suggested that it works for the tomato family of plants, which meant I was also able to do this with my physalis (cape gooseberries), which grew amazingly - alas nobody liked the things - a bumper crop nobody wants is not good! :(

Mrs Bee

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 09:51 »
Hi Goldfinger, I don't know much, but potting tomato stems deeper was something I researched last year (it was great for my leggy tomatoes), the information I found suggested that it works for the tomato family of plants, which meant I was also able to do this with my physalis (cape gooseberries), which grew amazingly - alas nobody liked the things - a bumper crop nobody wants is not good! :(

Deeply jealous, Goldfinger!
 we love them but have not had much joy for the past 2 years so am giving them the cold shoulder this year. :(

I always do round pots too. Never thought of doing square to make them fit in trays. Durr :wacko: But will from now on.

I am not sure about the extra roots from any other plants if you bury them deep. Only know about the tomatoes.Think I picked that one from Monty on Gardener's world.

When I plant out the toms in the garden I also plant them very deep too.
 Also picked up the tip about gently stroking the new seedlings to inprove root growth from Toby when he was on GW. Don't know if it really works or not tho'.

Goldfinger

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 17:44 »

Deeply jealous, Goldfinger!
 we love them but have not had much joy for the past 2 years so am giving them the cold shoulder this year. :(

I always do round pots too. Never thought of doing square to make them fit in trays. Durr :wacko: But will from now on.

I am not sure about the extra roots from any other plants if you bury them deep. Only know about the tomatoes.Think I picked that one from Monty on Gardener's world.

When I plant out the toms in the garden I also plant them very deep too.
 Also picked up the tip about gently stroking the new seedlings to inprove root growth from Toby when he was on GW. Don't know if it really works or not tho'.

It's April the 11th not the 1st!!  :lol:  Sounds like a wind up....

mattwragg94

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 17:47 »
dopey ive made the pots (i looked at the youtube vid), and there great  ;)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 17:49 by mattwragg94 »

Mrs Bee

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 18:38 »
No, honest guv, it's not a wind up. I have read several articles about stroking them. :)

Apparently it is supposed to mimic a breeze blowing the seedlings and they grow stronger roots to hang onto the soil. Honestly.

Don't know if it really makes any difference. Didn't do it this year 'cos I was too busy.

Next year I will have to do a trial, if I remember.

Trust me if I was going to do an April fool, it would have been better than this ;) ;)

lochnesslass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 21:32 »
ok here are my paper pots.
mini-april 2012 066.JPG
mini-april 2012 067.JPG
mini-april 2012 069.JPG
these 2 take all my time, whatever is left the veggies get, poor hubby is at the end of the queue.

xx
Then and now with pics

Started by aubergine on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 23:02
by aubergine
xx
Few Pics...

Started by spud on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 04, 2009, 09:24
by spud
xx
before and now pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 16:53
by Parsnip
xx
some pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 13:41
by spongebob

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 36 queries.