Laying signs

• 7 Replies

skelly

Laying signs
« on: June 21, 2010, 11:29 »
Our 3 chooks should start laying very shortly hopefully. Is there any signs that will show they are about to start laying. such as changes in behaviour etc etc.

Casey76

Re: Laying signs
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 12:34 »
Well they may start spening more time in the nest box, but often the first egg can be a bit of a surprise, so you may find it anywhere.

Physican signs to look for are: increasing size and colour of the comb,  widening of the pelvic bones and the vent becomes much more "wet looking"

They may also start to crouch when you approach them - but not all chickens do this.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 14:09 »
You could put a rubber or china egg in the nest box to give them an idea of where to lay, I think some people even use golf balls :D

Pretty Chick

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 19:04 »
As Casey said, their comb and wattles will become redder and grow bigger and a lot of my chickens squat when you approach them. They are getting in to their mating position and they mistake us humans for a cockerel  ::) :lol: :lol:.
All lives are precious.

k4t1e195

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 19:44 »
2 of my 5 girls started laying this weekend. Ive had 6 eggs over the weekend. 3 were edible. I was asking the same question. My girls combs got bigger and redder. I also was shown how to check the distance between their pelvic bones. All the signs were there but still no eggs. Then about a week ago i went to stroke 1 of them and she squated down. I heard this was a sign. Then less than a week later we got our first egg. Trust me from someone thats very impatient and thought it was never going to happen. It will happen. And its well worth waiting for.
1 dog -Chloe 1 cat - Oscar 2 hamsters - Flo and Tinkerbell 3 ferrets - Charlie, chip and rupert 3 light sussex - Madge, Henrietta and lucy-lou 2 black rocks - Peggy and Betty 1 puppy on the way i'm not mad i'm in love. :)

skelly

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 21:51 »
Thanks folks, silly question but how big do the combs go? Our girls have grown loads since we got them and alos their combs have kinda grown in proportion to to them. Harriet our speckeldy is sitting around a bit as if sittin on an egg.

k4t1e195

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 22:02 »
one of mine that is definetly laying her comb is about 3/4 inch high. I watched her the day we got our second egg. Because i wanted to know who was laying. And she was walking up and down the run and in and out of the coop like she was looking for something. (somewhere to lay). Then she went in the coop and didnt come out for about an hour. When she did i went and checked and a perfect little egg was there and it was still warm. Thats what you call fresh.

carolbriar

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 09:46 »
Although their combs will get redder and not all but some get much bigger.  My Speckled Sussex and Buff Rock have small combs - less than 1/2 high.  They are both laying.  In fact, I didn't think they were ready to lay but then they surprised me!  Also, don't be surprised if they make an awful noise when they first lay.  Afterwards they come out telling everyone they have laid an egg.  Again, not all hens do this but mine did.   :D
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

xx
Any signs of Laying?

Started by foggle007 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 14:27
by hookfarmchickens
xx
When will they start laying? Signs to look for

Started by Pony Girl on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 13:17
by Pony Girl
xx
POL Sussex all signs there but not laying, acting strangely

Started by seasnake100 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 17:09
by bantam novice
xx
Signs of an old hen

Started by Thingy on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 16:11
by evie2

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 39 queries.