Does this greenhouse look ok?

• 11 Replies

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
Does this greenhouse look ok?
« on: October 26, 2010, 14:48 »
I hope this is in the right place. And I know this question gets asked quite often so sorry bout that too!

So after much longing, I have decided to get my first proper walk in greenhouse. :happy: It has to be a lean-to due to the bizarre design of my house and garden space available. I also would prefer it to be polycarbonate as I will be moving in just over a couple of years and would want to take it with me and don't fancy moving glass. It was for these reasons I haven't bought one before, but I have come to the conclusion it really would make life easier. I have only cheap plastic ones and a small polycarb lean-to at the moment so don't really have a clue what I am doing. What do people think? - its the 6x8 polycarb version...

http://www.summergreenhouses.co.uk/products/greenhouses-polycarbonate/lean-to-greenhouse-400143.html

I couldn't really find any others. I hope I don't have to look like the lady stuck in the 80's to own it though! ???

Springlands

Re: Does this greenhouse look ok?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 15:10 »
This looks reasonable regarding the cost. You can get more attractive versions from the likes of Ferndale however they are more expensive. One of the advantages of a lean to is that you get a certain amount of heat reflected from the house (my grandfathers toms were always early) but you do have to ensure that you do not get damp from the greenhouse going into the house.

I would go for it - and no you do not have to dress like the woman from the 80's  :ohmy:
Wonder where they got her from.  :D

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 18:10 »
One of the advantages of a lean to is that you get a certain amount of heat reflected from the house (my grandfathers toms were always early) but you do have to ensure that you do not get damp from the greenhouse going into the house.

I would go for it - and no you do not have to dress like the woman from the 80's  :ohmy:

Thanks Springlands. Is there a way of making sure damp doesn't get into the house?

Good news re: the 80's thing - was thinking I was going to have to find some shoulder pads and perm my hair!!! :lol:

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 18:15 »
One of the advantages of a lean to is that you get a certain amount of heat reflected from the house (my grandfathers toms were always early) but you do have to ensure that you do not get damp from the greenhouse going into the house.

Thanks Springlands. Is there a way of making sure damp doesn't get into the house?

Good news re: the 80's thing - was thinking I was going to have to find some shoulder pads and perm my hair!!! :lol:

I think my grandfather had some kind of membrane at ground level between the g/h and house but am not too sure how you would go about it. Do you know any builders that you could talk to.

jimbeekeeper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 18:40 »
Possibley paint the wall with Thompsons water seal

http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/products/product_detail.cfm?prod_id=1

, and then a good quality white massonary paint.

Also a green house should not realy get damp as it is more likley to cause problems to your plants, to good ventilation/ auto opener.

Junie

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 20:53 »

Gardening in a white skirt :ohmy:
Must try that one :blink:

Fisherman

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 21:30 »

Also a green house should not realy get damp as it is more likley to cause problems to your plants, to good ventilation/ auto opener.

Builders call it tanking which is basically plastering a waterproof screed on the wall. It stops any water / dampness penetrating the brickwork.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 22:29 »

Builders call it tanking which is basically plastering a waterproof screed on the wall. It stops any water / dampness penetrating the brickwork.

Wow that sounds like more work than I was bargaining for... I ordered it a couple of hours ago and have just been reading up on here about grapevines since. Not sure the diocese (its a vicarage) would like me painting the outside wall with stuff... hmm. Now wondering if I've made a bit of a mistake - did do an internet search about fitting lean-to greenhouses and all I found was info about the heat from the house passing into the greenhouse particularly if sited over a window (which it will be), nothing about damp passing from the greenhouse to the house ???.

Springlands

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 08:36 »
My grandfather did not paint his wall as was described in the previous posts - what he had was a membrane at ground level between the lean-to and the house (his lean-to was on soil). That was so that dampness from the soil could not travel to the wall. I suppose it depends on whether or not you are going to have soil in the lean-to or to use grow-bags or pots on flagstones.

Might be of use to contact the greenhouse company to ask for advice.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 14:52 »
Ah ok. Thanks, good idea.

jimbeekeeper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 18:03 »
My grandfather did not paint his wall as was described in the previous posts - what he had was a membrane at ground level

That is fair enough and naturaly you should never just pile soil up against your house, you should always keep it at least 1 brick below the damp proof layer.

BUT, what about the rest of the wall now covered over with a greenhouse? This is where the damp will be.

At least use the Thompsons water seal, this will in effect seal the wall to damp, and it is CLEAR so will not look any different.

The white is just a nice to have to reflect light back into the green house on the other side of plants etc.

peter james

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 01:36 »
hi im a sandblaster /pointer and when we newly blast clean stone or brick we spray with a clear water repellent callled silicone it can also be called thomsons wether seal it costs about £25 /30 for 5 leater which is enougth to do a 14 squre meter terrice house front you could do a few coats to make sure it dose the job properly and you cant tell its on. people also use it for penetrating damp so would be perfect for what you need . be carefull when  buying it it also comes in a shinny finnish .you will be able to get it from most large builders yards .hope that helps you .p,j,

xx
new greenhouse

Started by mike0001 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post December 19, 2012, 01:59
by davejg
xx
Greenhouse

Started by Jacko_uk on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2021, 21:21
by Yorkie
question
what greenhouse help

Started by wozie on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 17:19
by Rangerkris
xx
What Greenhouse

Started by Shadrak on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 16:38
by Shadrak

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 39 queries.