Apple pressers

• 3 Replies

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
Apple pressers
« on: January 09, 2011, 20:15 »
I have just watched a river cottage episode, where he went to sheffield where they is an organisation that go round and collect apples off unowned trees around the city, they had found 250 trees so far but said you could probably add two 0's onto that :ohmy: Thats a lot of trees, the organisation picks them and supplies them to local nurseries and schools :) They said that there will be hundreds and hundreds of unowned, unpicked apple trees in each city. This made me think, and I quite enjoyed the idea of picking hundreds of apples and making apple juice from them.

This leads me onto my question, to make the apple juice i assume i would have to use an apple press, is it best to hire these or buy these and does anyone have any ideas to where i can get one from for a reasonable price? :)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

savbo

Re: Apple pressers
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 19:36 »
I work for an environmental organisation and we have one we lend out to ranger services etc. I used it to press everyone's windfalls at the allotment harvest event and it went down so well the Society are thinking of buying one. At around £250 all in they're not cost-effective for individuals but an allotment society (or group of societies) might want one...

I'd check your local countryside ranger or park ranger service to see if they know of one locally. Do you know if you're in a Community Forest area?

M

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:47 »
Thanks for the advice, im not sure a community forest area, but we do have a little woodland area down the road from us where they do a community woodland day each spring and auntumn, would that be it? :)

savbo

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 17:54 »
the Community Forests are organisations that among other things promote treeplanting - there are  about a dozen around the country, but if you're not in one of the areas your local rangers usually do similar stuff

xx
Apple picker

Started by Yorkie on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post October 21, 2013, 05:45
by Trillium
xx
Home made Apple picker

Started by ARPoet on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2016, 23:31
by grinling

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 39 queries.