New Season

• 28 Replies

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
Re: New Season
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 15:57 »
I'm itching to get going too!  I'm filling my time by buying ever more packets of seeds, at the last count I had 48 packets!  Made out a spreadsheet for what to sow when and sorted them all into sowing date order....   If I don't get started soon I'm going to have to go for counselling to put a stop to my seed-buying habit.

"My name is GYO Girl and I'm a seedaholic"  ::)

Lol! Well for the first time ever this year i havent had to buy any seeds at all as my seed tins are overflowing. May buy a packet if parnsip though...........

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 15:57 »
Hi GYO Girl. I have the same type of habits as you BUT to add to the seed-buying addiction I've bought half a dozen bags of compost, a sack of Growmore,288 6cm fibre pots, a sack of lime, 20 metres of bubble-wrap, 50 metres of weed-suppressing membrane and 22 metres of timber to make a new bench for the polytunnel

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 16:18 »
lol, I wouldn't mind, but back in December I went through the Kings seed catalogue with a fine tooth comb and made out my entire order in one go.  23 packets, at a cost of around £19.  At the time I knew I'd been really thorough and covered all my vegetable seed requirements for the entire year.  So why, 2 months on, has my seed packet quantity more than doubled?   :blush: 

The longer I have to wait to get them started, the more doubts creep into my mind that I've missed something vital!  I now have 2 varieties of tomato when back in December I KNEW that one packet of 50 Gardener's Delight would be plenty, 3 varieties of pea.... and so it goes on!
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 23:39 »
I thought it was just me feeling like the ways you have all described  :lol:  Glad I am not the only 1 suffering!  8)  I think I might have gone a bit over the top with buying stuff.  I either have growing in the way of canes and new fruit trees, or seeds for approx 80 different varieties in total.  In 1 sense is seems mental and over the top, and on the other hand I am thinking I still have a few more things I have missed.  Even today with the plot covered in snow, I went to test it, thinking if I can get a fork or spade in, then I am going to work it.  Of course the ground was still frozen solid and came away frustrated.  The past few weeks I have probably re-designed my plot in my mind 20 different ways, and new ideas, none of which I will probably do in the end.  Arghhhhhh,  :D
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

Mafro

• The Bushcraft Magazine
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 11:51 »
I feel your frustrations.  We acquired our plot only a week before the snow hit.  Before then we dug over about a third of it, and now the cold white stuff has halted play.

We've bought all our seeds, and I've put them into a spread sheet of when to plant/harvest

I've designed the plot with a 5 year rotation worked out.

I just want to dig...!!!!!
Bushcraft & Mushroom Mad

LorraineWB

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 13:13 »
I am beginning to get itchy about starting on this season's planting.  I've already bought some seeds but I need to decide what else I want to grow so I can buy those seeds too.  My veggie patch needs digging over (I've tried green manure for the first time) but it's been too frozen and anyway, I've not had time with work and social commitments and an ongoing DIY task indoors!  Spring is just round the corner so it will soon be time to get started so I can't wait. 

sarajane

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 20:41 »

I've had my 2nd letter last week warning me there have been complaints about the weeds and I really want to carry on with the work so I don't get a 3rd (which'll mean I'll get evicted  :(). I was making really good progress and had dug over the first bed ready for planting...and now I can't even get a spade in the ground it's so frozen :tongue2:

Getting  a bit off topic but Sazhig, could you write a letter to the site owners, explaining the health issues you have had recently and it may be they could retract the warnings you have been given.  You never know, it might help

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 20:51 »
sazhig, as sarajane says, it is important to make contact.  If they hear nothing then you will be evicted - they aren't mind readers about your particular background.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 21:14 »
The week ahead looks to be dry and mild so tomorrow afternoon I'll drag the bench I've just made up to the field and into the polytunnel and then I'll fire up the rotavator and make a start on my potato and onion patches.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 21:33 »
Been to the plot today to do some harvesting. There's still the odd patch of snow & whilst it's quite free draining it's a quagmire at the moment.

The best thing I can do with the plot is stay off it! If you're in too much of a busting rush you can do more harm than good.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 21:35 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 16:05 »
I've just been poking about on my veg patches, thinking about rotavating etc and common sense has prevailed over blind enthusiasm. Apart from pottering in the polytunnel and greenhouse, it's too cold and the soil's still too heavy to do anything yet

sazhig

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 13:51 »
Sorry Yorkie & sarajane I've only just noticed your messages. The council were/are fully aware of my difficulties. I'd seen the council clerk in person and spoken over the phone several times last year. TBH they just don't care. If your plot isn't worked you're out, end of. There's no community or offers of help if you're having problems.
Saz

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 17:53 »
Sorry to hear that sazhig  :(

At least the soil has warmed up now; good luck in getting a covering down over the less cultivated areas, so that the weeds are not visible and not bothering other plot holders.

sazhig

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 18:10 »
Thanks Yorkie. It's going well now  :)

xx
Odd one....Next season seeds from this season crops

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 18:21
by zazen999
xx
Twice in one season!

Started by Nickchick on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 19:26
by mumofstig
xx
what a season so far

Started by the goodlife on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 10, 2013, 10:17
by surbie100
xx
First of the season

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2015, 16:23
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 38 queries.