Greenhouse - Melons

• 7 Replies

scentedstock

Greenhouse - Melons
« on: January 21, 2008, 23:20 »
I'm just about to get my first glass greenhouse and was wondering what could I start?

Anyone tried melons ?

flatcap

• Experienced Member
Greenhouse - Melons
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 07:06 »
i tried melons last year in the greenhouse,one thing iv learned for
this year is pollinate them by hand.

by the time we realised we had to do this we ended up with tennis ball sized melons

crowndale

Greenhouse - Melons
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 07:45 »
I'm going to try them this year, trying cape gooseberries as well and maybe a sweet potatoe if I can remember in time!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

moggy

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.chilliupnorth.co.uk/
Greenhouse - Melons
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 09:23 »
i tried melons last year wtihout any success, this year i am determined to succeed
It's Chilli up North.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Greenhouse - Melons
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 10:06 »
I am giving them a go too this year. not expecting much but hey if u dont try u wont succeed.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Rob the rake

Re: Greenhouse - Melons
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:53 »
Quote from: "scentedstock"
I'm just about to get my first glass greenhouse and was wondering what could I start?

Anyone tried melons ?

They'll take up a lot of space in the greenhouse if their growth potential is realised. I would think you could get away with growing them outdoors in your neck of the woods, but I don't have a lot of melon growing experience, perhaps some of our Southern members will know better than I.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

gobs

Greenhouse - Melons
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 11:20 »
Yes, they need space, but you got to 'prune them' if you want the ripe fruit, so about 2x3m should be enough and you can squeeze 2 plants in there, you can't expect much more than 2-4 fruits to ripen. Polytunnel or a raised hot bed of muck on the sheltered side of the greenhouse would be better space economy.

For the greenhouse: tomato, pepper, chilli, aubergine all can be started in Feb onwards.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

paintedlady

Greenhouse - Melons
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 11:40 »
I'm trying melons outdoors this year but I also know that they will be at the mercy of the British weather - a heatwave would be great, but anything like last year will have consequences.  But its a chance I'm willing to take

I'll also be extending my screening project which provided a windbreak cum sheltered spot - a bit like an open top cloche/coldframe.  Basically some wooden posts (I used lengths taken from pallets but any wood would do), some clear plastic sheeting (I used heavy duty plastic bags slit up the sides to make a longer length) and basically staple it to the posts.  It really did help.

Reading my seed packet instructions last night, it goes on about pinching off the growing shoot after the 7th set of leaves to encourage fruit production.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

xx
Melons for greenhouse

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 16:42
by lightyears
xx
Melons in the greenhouse...

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 19:31
by gobs
xx
has anyone grown melons in their greenhouse ( blenheim orange )

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 15:13
by Stripey_cat
xx
Melons

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 08, 2007, 07:23
by BAK

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 38 queries.