Help please

• 4 Replies

Maurice Hughes

Help please
« on: June 13, 2020, 14:01 »
Hi everyone. I’m new to the group and have just got my first allotment. I’d be greatfull  of any advice in the setting out, good makes and best sizes of greenhouses , sheds, fruit tunnels , poly tunnels etc. Been saving up for things for ages now I’ve just gotta design the allotment how I want it and start the hard work preparing it for next season. Any help will be greatly appreciated

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 17:16 »
Hi, and welcome to the forums.  :)

If you haven't done so already, there are many articles to read in the main section of the website (under 'Articles and Advice') which give a wealth of information on all the topics you have mentioned, and more.

If you still have further questions, feel free to ask them and we'll do our best to answer them.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 11:09 »
Welcome to the forum  :)

The first thing is to check what the rules are for your site - there are often limitations on what you can have on your plot e.g. no sheds, or max two structures, of certain sizes.

The usual size of shed is 6' x 8' I find - you don't want to take up too much space.  Greenhouses again often 8' x 6' or 10' x 8'.

Greenhouses - you will need to choose between glass, toughened safety glass, and polycarbonate (twin-walled or single).  Consider whether it's a locked site, how much vandalism, how windy.

Siting of the structure - don't place it where it will cast shade on your plot or, more importantly, your neighbour's plot.  Site secretaries here have to approve the siting before a structure is erected, in order to provide some consistency of approach and to protect everyone's growing conditions as much as possible.

Fruit cages - to be honest, I'd wait and see for those.  Many people grow fruit under netting that is suspended from canes with yogurt pots on top.  You don't have to get it all sorted in year one, particularly as you're talking about considerable expense with your list of items.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Maurice Hughes

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 20:09 »
thanks for advice

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 20:28 »
Good evening Maurice, 
the biggest problem with greehouses is stagnant air.  This promotes all sorts of moulds, rusts and other eaby geabies.  If your decide to build a greenhouse my advice is to insert a row of bricks (the ones with three holes) on edge in the foundation to promote good airflow.

That's my little pearl of wisdom.   Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 44 queries.