Sore Bum

• 4 Replies

chickenlicken

Sore Bum
« on: October 21, 2009, 15:12 »
Hi there

Wondered if anyone might be able to advise as to the cause of our Bluebelle's bare behind.  We have noticed this morning that the feathers have been pulled out leaving a red quite sore looking patch. 

We haven't noticed any of the others pecking at her or indeed her pecking herself and after giving her a thorough look over I can't see any signs of mites/lice etc on her or the other girls.  I have put some purple spray on her to see if it helps.

She is otherwise fine and eating and laying well
I did wonder whether perhaps she was not roosting on the perch and will check that tonight.

We regularly dust with Diatom - could it be that?

Have attached some pics

Thanks
DSC_0158.JPG
DSC_0157.JPG

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Re: Sore Bum
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 19:27 »
My 2 bluebelles have totally bare bums even after this last molt as they are such prolific layers.  Their bums look bare with bright red skin like a baboon's bum.  If you can discount any creepy crawlies or feather plucking then this may be the cause.  Have they recently come into lay this year?  My 2 have never missed a day since they came into lay.  And they have always had bare red bums almost like a display thing to the cock bird to say they are ripe for mateing?? Maybe??
mrs.ploppy

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:02 »
Our chickens, in their second Autumn, lost all their tail feathers.  Took them to the vet. Vet said normal to moult this time of the year, and more of an issue in second Autumn than first, also that it can irritate the bird such that they pull the feathers out - which, what with new feathers coming,  makes it all look a bit raw & sore.

Within a few days her new feathers started appearing ...

(Ours are French Morans, in case that makes a difference)

chickenlicken

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 14:59 »
Many Thanks to you both.
We got our chickens at Easter this year so she has been laying for about 5 months and hasn't missed a day either!!
I think it may moulting that is causing this so will keep an eye on her for a few more days and see if it siorts itself out.  The purple spray looks pretty gorgeous against her lovely bluey feathers I have to say!!

Thanks again

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 19:19 »
Yes, the purple spray is the best to apply when you have a bold bum when it is sore but if the bottom is just naked you shouldn't need to apply.  a must have in the first aid box.

xx
Sore - what could the cause be?

Started by scooter on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 16:17
by scooter
xx
Sore eye?

Started by Beano on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 16:24
by Beano
xx
Help on Sore leg on chooks

Started by ganner on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 07, 2012, 16:51
by ANHBUC
xx
Bantie with a sore eye

Started by lukasmum on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 18:56
by lukasmum

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 38 queries.