Home Made Rat poison

• 24 Replies

poultrygeist

Home Made Rat poison
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 09:24 »
I think it would be a case of a stiff drink, think of something pleasant and go into autopilot mode.

A bit like cleaning up after an ill cat or dog !

The one thing I don't want is a finger being pointed if a rat is seen. If I can say i've done all I can, then it must be them feeding the seagulls (and they do!) which is encouraging them. Strange how some creatures are seen as worth feeding and some as deadly enemies. I like to give everything an even chance unless the threat becomes too great.
Then it's time to toughen up as you say.
I just hope we can be tough enough.

R

mercury

Home Made Rat poison
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 09:26 »
Quote from: "Stree"
I think any poison is either cruel or will cause further problems when the rat crawls away and dies and
A  Decomposes and stinks  in a place you cannot get to
B Gets eaten by something you did not want to kill
C becomes immune to it ( Which they will ! ) so you have just wasted your time and money

Quickest way to dispatch rats is by shooting . But practice first, its inhumane to wound so a clean headshot is a must.
Second quickest is a dog. Instinct will kick in and one flick and the rats spine is snapped.
Whereas both these latter methods require conscious actions to lead to the death of the rat, which is what a lot of people find hard to face. ( How can one be a nature lover and kill?) they are  in all the least cruel.

As for rats killing rabbits and chicks I would say this is the exception rather than the rule.....Rats would far rather eat grain than kill and eat flesh, we had a regular rat visitor that would sit in with the guinea pigs bold as brass and share their bowl of food.... Guinea pigs were not ever harmed.
Dog sorted that one out.

Its more likely that a mother rabbit would kill her offspring rather than a visiting rat killing them, animals do this, pigs are well known for killing their young.

But rats carry disease, steal and contaminate food, upset livestock, damage property and are generally a nuisance..and breed very fast if their lifestyle is left unchallenged.

But that is still no excuse for causing them to die in agony.........by poison... when there are far quicker cleaner ( Kinder?) methods of killing them

Totaly agree with everything you say stree, good post mate :D  :D

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
Home Made Rat poison
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 21:36 »

As for rats killing rabbits and chicks I would say this is the exception rather than the rule.....Rats would far rather eat grain than kill and eat flesh, we had a regular rat visitor that would sit in with the guinea pigs bold as brass and share their bowl of food.... Guinea pigs were not ever harmed.

Well the baby guinea pig was well and truely savaged and the rat  shot out of the garage when I went in to feed the others.  It was not in the cage as it had fallen out of a small gap in the door (my fault but didn't notice it till too late) so I have to disagree with you there :!:

Stree

Rats.
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 21:59 »
I do not doubt that, and I am sorry it happened, I know what it is like. But as I said, it is the exception and not the rule. Rats are vegetarians and will not fight to kill and eat an opponent/ prey but would generally rather eat grain.
Of course there are exceptions to every rule, and I am sorry to hear about the one you have been made all too aware of.....
I have kept guinea pigs for the last 15 years, and at one time for about a year a great big adult rat was visiting their open fronted cage nightly and feeding with them................The only animal that got harmed in this escapade was the rat when my dog killed it..........Then again, who is to say what might have happened if newborns were in the run as well?
Just like you, I can only share what I know and hope it helps others.

Jellyhead

Home Made Rat poison
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 09:46 »
Why then when I used to keep the food and grain in the chicken coop did Rattie kill the chicks and not just eat the grain??? :evil:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Stripey_cat

Home Made Rat poison
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 15:02 »
Quote from: "Stree"

Dog sorted that one out.

Its more likely that a mother rabbit would kill her offspring rather than a visiting rat killing them, animals do this, pigs are well known for killing their young.

A local petting zoo had one rat get into the guinea-pig enclosure.  There were 47 corpses to bury, and one surviving boar (who needed stitches) - the rat jumped out when the staff arrived.  After that, they used to set dozens of traps each night, and shoot several rats each morning.

Sometimes the rat will just raid for food, but sometimes they'll go like a badger in a chicken run, even if they aren't shut in or anything.

I think a high-pressure air rifle (close to the maximum you're allowed without a gun-license) is OK to kill trapped rats (check, though, before you do it).

Modern poisons are pretty horrible: they kill over a week or two by internal haemorrhaging.  Used to be strychnine or phosphides, which were quicker, but if a child or a dog got into it there was nothing you can do, whereas there are treatments for warfarin-type poisoning.

alibean

• Experienced Member
Home Made Rat poison
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 19:05 »
Not sure how humane this one is but IF (not when, ever the optimist  :) ) I get rats with the chicks (as have taken all necessary precautions) I think I'll use catch and release traps as poison is a slow death.

I've always believed that a quick death is a humane death, so I'll be taking the trapped live rats over a localish field, letting them go one at a time and training up my youngest Jack Russell terrier.  It'll be quick for the rat and the dogs will have a right old time  - they catch rats up the lottie and it's their natural instinct after all....

What do others think about this? Is it legal? If there is a right outcry then I'll have a rethink!

hazelize_uk

Home Made Rat poison
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 21:18 »
i dont know if it works or if it is particularly humane, but ive been told that sugar beet used as horse feed can be used.  The rats stuff themselves on the stuff, which once in the stomach expands, bursting the stomach, killing the rat BUT not leaving the corpse full of poison should owls or other animals eat the remains?

peterjf

RATS
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 23:38 »
ON OUR PLOTS WE HAVE A GUY WHO COMES ON WITH A JACK RUSSEL AND 2 FERRETS , HE LAYS TRAPS TOO, CAGE TYPE, ONCECAUGHT IN THE CAGE HE TAKES THEM TO THE LOCAL DRAIN TO RELEASE THEN 3 MILES AWAY

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Home Made Rat poison
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 08:25 »
Quote from: "hazelize_uk"
i dont know if it works or if it is particularly humane, but ive been told that sugar beet used as horse feed can be used.  The rats stuff themselves on the stuff, which once in the stomach expands, bursting the stomach, killing the rat BUT not leaving the corpse full of poison should owls or other animals eat the remains?

Never thought of that one before and I have sugarbeet in my garage for my ponies.  Certainly sounds better than poison (which i normally use).  Will have to give it a try

question
Home- made ACV

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 31, 2009, 11:31
by ehs284
xx
Home Made Incubators

Started by Hitman on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2020, 12:43
by grinling
xx
home made incubator

Started by jarrode0 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 22:19
by alotment shed
xx
home made feeder

Started by maverpole on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 16:55
by maverpole

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 34 queries.