new chucks

• 11 Replies

Tony H

• Experienced Member
new chucks
« on: December 08, 2011, 12:33 »
we have just got another 9 girls 5 blackrock and 4 bluebell all are fine but 1 black rock keeps pecking one of the bluebells and has pulled all the tail fethers out and its now bleeding i have seperated the the bluebell now the black rock is picking on one of our other chuks, is she just a bully or will i have to keep her seperate  :wacko:
Chicken crazy

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: new chucks
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 12:39 »
Tricky.
You could try a few things, anti pecking bits, these are placed in the mouth of the bully hen, anti pecking spray, you could also try and seperate the bully for a few days so she moves down the pecking order, if nothing else works it maybe a case of removing her from the flock!

Edit: just thought, have they got loads of space and do they have something to stop them getting bored?

HF is the expert on these type of woman  :D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:41 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 20:36 »
... HF is the expert on these type of woman  :D

I haven't heard of Hillfooter using anti-pecking bits on his mother in law!  :wacko:

I'm with Aidy on this.

1) Make sure everyone has plenty of room and plenty of stuff to keep them occupied.

2) Remove the bully for a while.  (Better to remove the bully than the bullied, but once blood is drawn you do need to remove the victim to stop others picking on her)

good luck.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 07:01 »
Hi they have about 2 1/2 sq metters each not including hen house as well as the rest of the garden now and then when wether allowes i know that the RSPCA recomend 2 sq foot but i dont think thats enough  :wacko: I have removed the chuck that got beat up untill she recovers ::) the bully seems to have calmed down abit she tryed to bully one of my old girls but soon got put in line i will keep checking thou to make sure she doesnt start on anyone els  :blink:
Thanks for addvice

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 08:16 »
You could use purple spray where she is bleeding. This will help with healing and also disguise the red that makes them peck. :) it's a useful item to have in your chooks first aid kit.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 09:21 »
2sq metres is no where near enough in my experience, mine are on the plot and this is the councils stipulation, however mine were pecking each other from time to time, since I doubled the area they have really calmed down and live together in peace, the odd peck here and there but I think thats more a pecking order issue.

tstainesmoore

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 13:44 »
teh bird may just be at the top of the pecking order and is taking it to the extreme, however she may need to be removed or taught a lesson herself. simply remove her from the rest for about a week so the other birds cannot see her then put her back the other birds will then will know who she is but as she hasn't been there in a while they wont feel she is in charge. another way that i find works everytime is to get a cockerel they calm down the pecking order.
Plus teh space that you have got is plenty as long as they can get away from each other and that they can exercise then they are fine 2sq metres eac is fine technically free-range is classed as allowing 6 birds per every 1sq metre but the more the better.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 14:18 »
sorry but 6 birds to 1 square metre is not classed as free range
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 14:21 »
this is the correct amount of room for a bird to be classed as free range:-

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=86475.msg962648#msg962648

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 16:52 »
I have had to seperate the troublemaker she wouldnt let certain other chucks from eating althou i put 3 extra tubs with food she kept attacking the chucks who went by them  :( we got her from a farm where all the chickens go wherever the owners only put out a bit of food so they all squable for the bit thats put out, maybe she still thinks she has to defend it ? I hope i can get her out off this habbit as she is a realy nice chuck, but since i seperated her all the others seem happyer and not hidding  :wacko:

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 19:27 »
technically free-range is classed as allowing 6 birds per every 1sq metre

Are you sure? That seems more like a Battery farm than free range.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 20:00 »
yes unfortuanatly it is true they dont treat the chucks very well at all and the other animals not much better  >:( i think its all just about mony with some people

xx
MY chucks

Started by dugless on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 21:23
by too many girls
xx
I WANT TO KEEP CHUCKS?

Started by sydlin on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 11, 2007, 17:13
by calli
xx
Nom-chucks

Started by chooksbury on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 18, 2009, 16:43
by scrappydoo
xx
chucks....

Started by iannp on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 14, 2007, 20:01
by iannp

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 37 queries.