pots or straight in

• 11 Replies

the spiv

pots or straight in
« on: May 16, 2014, 13:09 »
i was just wandering how you start your plants off .i start mine off in the greenhouse ans then plant out but the problem ive got is that i tend to have a seed tray full of plants and i end up composting or losing a lot of them . this is only my 3 year of having an allotment. and a, ll i seem to grow is a few potatoes runner beans and loads and loads of weeds  any advice please :(
Psst ! oi you wanna buy any petrol coupons

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
Re: pots or straight in
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 14:01 »
Everyone grows lots and lots of weeds but once you have a good hand on what isrequired you tend to have much smaller weeds as you remove them before they grow to any great size.

Germination of seeds and early growing methods will depend on where you are in the country, what you are growing and what space/equipemnt you have.       Greenhouse/propogator are great tools but you mustwork out the timing for moving on the plants e.g. if they are frost tender then you can only put them out when the last frost has past or you need to protect them.   Start this year by noting down how long from first plantng the seed until the plant is big enough to go outside thenuse that as your general guide for next year.

The alternative to the concise method is just to chance the weather, something most if not all on here will try at some time or other.
Do you really need al that lettuce/

the spiv

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 15:08 »
Thanks for the advice at the moment I've.got a seed tray full off beetroot. Seedtray of sprouts. Seedtray. Of carrots. Spring onoins, leeks. Ive also started making  raised  beds on the plot but with work its a slow process. As i work for myself i have to put in a lot of hours but the plot is my only escape and keeps me sale

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 15:43 »
Don't worry about raised beds, for now - just plant into the soil. That'll save a bit of time  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 15:47 »
Don't know everything that you want to grow, but the only thing I start off in a seed tray are leeks. Everything else goes in modules or small pots. I grow them all in my GH until the weather warms up, then I prick out and pot on brassicas, broad beans, French beans and parsely into individual pots. I'm just about to pot on my leeks in a 6" pot, nine to a pot, then they will go outside until ready for planting.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 16:26 »
I do much the same as Goosegirl above but carrots do not transplant well and really should be sown direct. Any root disturbance will cause them to fork into weird and wonderful shapes-great for amusement but not for scrubbing/peeling.

Eblana

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 16:38 »
Brassica's and lettuce are started in modules.  Beans and courgettes are started off in pots.  Everything else is direct sown - the first couple of years I was like you and started everything off in seed trays and had little or no success.  We all fight the weed battle, I find though that if I dig the beds early and leave them ready to plant that the weed seeds germinate and then I hoe them off before I sow seeds / plant the plants and then I just have to stay on top of the newly emerged seedlings with the hoe and hand weeding.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 16:39 »
Like Moose, anything that doesn't like being transplanted gets sown direct (parsnips, carrots mainly)...pretty much everything else gets started off in modules or trays. I tend to put 2 to 4 seeds in a module (roughly 2.5" module) and hope for the best. I hate pricking out so tend to pot on everything!

Brassicas go outside under glass until they have true leaves. Everything else does the old house/garden daily dance.

the spiv

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 10:20 »
The first  year  i done everything.in pots and lost the lot, second year a biy of both pots and trays. Trays did better this year everything's  in trays all ok so far managed to put some  cabbages  out about 20 of em and so far lost about 12 they just went yellow and shrivelled  up so no cabbage this year i had a tray full and put the rest of the cabbage plants in the compost bin. Would love to know what im doing wrong

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 11:55 »
Are you hardening the plants off properly, assuming you're starting things off inside?

al78

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 12:43 »
Firstly bear in mind that most seeds will keep until next year, so, with that in mind, you don't have to sow the entire packet in one year. That is how you end up with loads of seedlings that you end up throwing away because you don't have anywhere to put them or you get overwhelmed with trying to pot everything on.

Secondly, try sowing just a few seeds at first early in the season, effectively taking a chance that the spring will be mild. Sow a few more later in the spring. This way, if the weather is kind you will have a head start. If it is not (e.g. 2013) you will only lose the few early sowings, and will still have the later sowings or still have seeds left to start again with. Don't worry if it seems late to start over, seeds sown later benefit from the extra warmth and longer daylight hours over earlier sowings and will get going a lot quicker, making up for lost time.

the spiv

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 14:31 »
Thanks for all the advice that is my problem im sowing to many seeds and i do end up throwing alot away. I do tend to put more in just in case they dont grow. If i planted all my beetroot plants id have about 60 beetroots. All ready for lifting at the same time also the allotments im on the gardeners there seem to do the opposite to what the books / internet says like weeding when its been raining and digging when wet. I go over when its dry and they have weeded dug it over etc etc so then i feel like i have to work like mad to catch up.

xx
straight carrots??

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 21:24
by viettaclark
xx
Straight lines

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

57 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 18:16
by New shoot
xx
Pot on leeks or straight into ground?

Started by whippersnapper on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 29, 2023, 18:42
by cc
xx
Raspberry canes - straight or not?

Started by bashful_badger on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 19:53
by Trillium

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 37 queries.