How often do you water in hot weather?

• 13 Replies

missmoneypenny

How often do you water in hot weather?
« on: May 27, 2020, 15:34 »
I realise this is a “ piece of string “ type question. It is no hot down here in London, don’t want to over do th e watering though if it isn’t necessary. So how often do you water 1) newly planted-on sun loving plants such as tomatoes, sweet corn, courgettes. 2) your young fruit trees 3) soft fruit bushes?
Thanks for any advice.

Thread title typo corrected
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 16:46 by JayG »

Kleftiwallah

Re: How often do you water in hot water
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 15:45 »
Good afternoon missmoneypenny, I presume you mean hot weather,  I was amazed just how quickly the plants appear under stress during hot weather, so all I can say is "Water when required" by looking at your plants.

Cheers,  Tony.

I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: How often do you water in hot weather?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 17:30 »
Tomatoes, sweetcorn and courgettes - particularly while getting established, I'd water daily during this heat.

Possibly less often for established fruit bushes.

It is not advisable to water a little and often, because it encourages shallow roots which then are much more prone to drought stress.  Always give a decent amount of water, irrespective of frequency.  That then encourage roots to go deeper searching for water, once the plant is established.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

al78

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 17:51 »
Once or twice a week if it is actual hot weather, not an average sunny summer day, on my clay soil crops seem perfectly fine after a week of no rain. I water French beans and squash twice a week if there is no rain. I haven't watered anything on my plot so far this year apart from stuff in the greenhouse, that will change if we don't find a way to return our current Meditereranean climate back to its rightful owner.

Carlh80

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 21:38 »
Oh really???
I’ve been watering twice a day!

Soil seems to dry out - top inch probably, I’ve only started turning the soil.

So, my new tomato plants, surely they need watering often??

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 22:00 »
Oh really???

Before watering, stick a finger in as far into the soil as you can. Most likely it's still moist an inch or two deep. The top will always dry out quickly in the sun, but it takes a good while to dry out under the surface.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 22:58 »
Thanks guys. I try and space my visits out and go at non “ peak times” due to corona. Daily probably is not an option but a good long drink 2-3 times a week is doable. Sounds like I can get away with once a week with the bushes. Even though I’ve had the allotment for 10 years it’s good to get other people’s perspective. I have noticed the long timers on the site tend to water lots.

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 23:27 »
I think it depends whether you are growing outdoors or in a polytunnel or greenhouse, and also on your soil.

Our soil is clay over an impervious granite underneath, but has been much improved with mulch, manure and cultivation over the last 10 years.   It is still very variable though.   The beds at the top of the plot, plus those that are very deep are much drier and seem like dust even down a few inches.   These I have been watering often and extensively.  Beds at the bottom of the plot hold the water much better and are nowhere near as dry and I have been leaving to a big watering once a week.

The polytunnel at the plot and the greenhouse at home are getting very hot at the moment.  Maximum in the greenhouse was 40.1 today, even with vents and doors wide open and blinds down.  Having to water in the polytunnel daily.   In the greenhouse I am using Dalefoot Compost for Tomatoes made from wool and bracken which holds water so well I only need to water every other day even in this heat.   The tomatoes are looking fantastic in it.  Compost very expensive though.

maddave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 10:40 »
It's been early mid twenties, with very little cloud round here for the last few weeks.  I water first thing in the morning, then go later in the evening and have found my courgettes and pumpkins are wilting after being baked in the sun all day. They recover by next morning and are doing well, but wouldn't like to leave them even a day in the current temperatures.  Not till they are much bigger.

Our soil is very sandy and the water just runs off it.  Give it a good water and then a quick tickle and it's bone dry a few millimetres down! I've found sticking some blue pipes round the water loving plants helps to make sure the water has penetrated down to the roots.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 13:43 »
My soil is clay, also enriched with organic matter but unevenly throughout the plot like yours AnneB, some areas are richer than others. I grow everything outdoors. I popped round at dusk yesterday and gave most things a good watering. Hopefully that will hold them for a couple of days. Thanks everyone for your advice.

al78

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 13:49 »
Oh really???

If you have just planted anything out, it is reasonable to water daily or every other day whilst they get over the transplant shock and establish their roots. Since my soil is clay, I don't need to water established crops very often, I can get away with once a week for most stuff, even through the very warm and dry May-July 2018. My greenhouse crops are watered every other day, and squash and French beans outside will get watered twice weekly until we return the semi-arid climate back to whoever we borrowed it from. I can tell from weeding whether the soil has moisture a few inches down, and if the plants are healthy and showing no signs of (lack of) water stress, I will assume I am watering adequately. I'm watering as little as I can comfortably get away with to minimise encouraging slug activity.

Silva

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 21:00 »
At the moment I am watering establishing plants every 2-3 days. My only source of water on the plot is my well (no mains water) so even a light soaking of young plants on my fairly large plot takes quite a long time. I know it is better to give a good soaking less often but unfortunately it's not really an option- my plot is 6 miles away, often I have to cycle there and I just do what I need to keep it all alive! My main concern is the potatoes as it's not practical for me to water such a large area with a watering can, so they just have to tough it out most of the time. Most larger established plants (e.g. fruit bushes) generally have to fend for themselves.

That said I'm often surprised by how long things can manage without rain. We are just outside flood plain so I think high water table may be a factor...

Edit: this report on current UK water levels may be of interest: https://www.ceh.ac.uk/news-and-media/blogs/uk-hydrological-status-update-may-2020

It indicates while rainfall is, as we all realise, very low for this time of year, parts of the UK, especially the south, still have quite high river flow and groundwater from the winter/early spring heavy rains. Long-term forecast is, however, suggesting an extended dry period is likely.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 21:07 by Silva »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 21:59 »
That's really interesting, Silva.  Usually you'd expect the south to be far drier than the north, but that's not the case.

al78

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 22:18 »
That's really interesting, Silva.  Usually you'd expect the south to be far drier than the north, but that's not the case.

It has been very dry in the south for the last two months, but the autumn and winter were very wet (February especially so), which will have filled the ground water reserviors. We also had a potent Channel low dump a lot of rain on southern counties at the end of April, which helped somewhat to mitigate the lack of rain this spring.

xx
hot weather water or not

Started by caro810 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 06, 2013, 08:26
by willp
xx
I learned Today That Anglia Water are Not Turning On Our Allotment Water Supply

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 09:48
by mumofstig
xx
WATER shortage - tips for saving / harvesting water please

Started by Cr78 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 18:52
by mumofstig
xx
Water butt water, is it ok for a greenhouse

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 21:02
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 53 queries.