A Few Odd Questions about some "common" veg.

• 52 Replies

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: A Few Odd Questions about some "common" veg.
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2015, 08:49 »
What is a pasty?
Pasties are fab - if you find a good one ;)

Short crust pastry circles filled with beef, potato, swede and a little onion, then wrap the pastry over to form a crust (the crust causes some controversy - some say over the top, others say it should be around the side)  ::)
They were supposedly made for the Cornish tin miners - they could eat the pasty by holding onto the crust with their dirty hands and discard the crust (which is a terrible terrible, terrible waste as far as I'm concerned :ohmy: :lol:)

There is also rumour about a pasty that is sweet one end, savoury the other so you have your meal anx pudding in one dish.
Gross idea frankly! :D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2015, 09:00 »

I'm from oop North & a swede is a swede in Doncaster,we used to carve them for Halloween, that's why we is called ard  :lol:, have you tried carving a lantern from a swede, non of this namby  pamby pumpkin stuff for us. In fact it wasn't for Halloween it was for mischievous night we didn't do Halloween
[/quote]

Us Southerners carved our lanterns from swede too, Snowy. I think it is more likely to be an age thing as pumpkins were not available when I was young. :D :D  Us Eastenders is 'ard. :lol: :lol: Well real Eastenders. :lol: :lol:

LotuSeed

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2015, 12:11 »
What is a pasty?

Short crust pastry circles filled with beef, potato, swede and a little onion, then wrap the pastry over to form a crust (the crust causes some controversy - some say over the top, others say it should be around the side)  ::)
They were supposedly made for the Cornish tin miners - they could eat the pasty by holding onto the crust with their dirty hands and discard the crust (which is a terrible terrible, terrible waste as far as I'm concerned :ohmy: :lol:)

There is also rumour about a pasty that is sweet one end, savoury the other so you have your meal anx pudding in one dish.

The part about the tin miners reminded me of something that was mentioned on a BBC series (can't remember but it might've been one with Ruth Goodman and Peter Ginn but I'm not certain) but it suggested that the crust was thrown away in the mine as some sort of offering I think?

Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 12:17 »
What is a pasty?

The part about the tin miners reminded me of something that was mentioned on a BBC series (can't remember but it might've been one with Ruth Goodman and Peter Ginn but I'm not certain) but it suggested that the crust was thrown away in the mine as some sort of offering I think?
It would have been covered in coal dust.
Those 2 do all sorts of historical programmes - they may have mentioned it. Never heard of it being trhown as an offering though :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2015, 17:19 »
Here you go: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/4841110.stm It's like a Bedfordshire Clanger. Have eaten neither, but I'm willing to give it a go.

Anyone with me? Just in the interests of science/history/being bored on a sunny afternoon...

Sparkyrog

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2015, 17:24 »
Here you go: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/4841110.stm It's like a Bedfordshire Clanger. Have eaten neither, but I'm willing to give it a go.

Anyone with me? Just in the interests of science/history/being bored on a sunny afternoon...
Perhaps Mrs Bee would knock up a batch in the interests of science  :D
I cook therefore I grow

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2015, 17:25 »

Not sure I'd agree with it being a 'healthier fast food' -= even a veggy pasty isn't truly healthy with all that pastry! :D
I still don't trust the idea...

...very impressed with the crust on top in the pic though proper way as far as I'm concerned :D

cadalot

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2015, 19:42 »
So what have solar eclipses got to do with Bedfordshire Clangers ?

EsAyyOKoTik
I wish I had seen it - Too cloudy here, just like a rainy day  :(

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 19:44 by cadalot »

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2015, 22:34 »
Catalog that marmite video is so good. I will have to show it to my OH. HE WOULD NEVER NEGLECT HIS! :lol: :lol:
Diary  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116469.0

Comments http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116484.0

LotuSeed

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2015, 04:40 »
Saw some bright red rhubarb stalks at the grocery store so bought a few to use with some frozen strawberries from last season to make a strawberry rhubarb crumble. Figured I'd see what all the fuss is about. The strawberry and crumble parts were delicious, didn't care for the rhubarb and ended up picking it out lol. Ah well, at least I can say I tried it!

cadalot

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2015, 06:35 »
Where you went wrong was not starting at the basics - rhubarb and custard  :D

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2015, 07:39 »
Rhubarb and ginger crumble with custard. Oh my.

Rhubarb vodka....yum!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2015, 10:15 »
Baked rhubarb and ginger cheesecake. rhubarb and raspberry jam. delicious.

Did you use plenty of sugar with the fruit in your crumble LotoSeed, cos it does need a lot of sweetening.

LotuSeed

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2015, 11:38 »
Didn't mind the tartness of it at all. It paired nicely in contrast with the sweetness of the crumble topping, but I didn't like the taste of the rhubarb; it had an odd sort of aftertaste  :unsure:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2015, 13:49 »
It can be an acquired taste. :D

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 40 queries.