First timer

• 5 Replies

Grampa

First timer
« on: September 08, 2010, 18:58 »
Hi,

I hope to get my first hens in the next few weeks. I've sectioned off part of the shed as a coop but they'll be free range at the bottom of the garden most of the time. Two questions:- is shredded paper any good for the floor (concrete) or should I go for wood shavings? And would it be better as a first timer to buy pol pullets rather than ex-battery birds?

Answers on a boiled egg please asap (I'm off to Cornwall on Saturday)

Thanks

Grampa
Grampa

bantam novice

Re: First timer
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 19:06 »
Hello and welcome to the Hen House.  This is a great forum and there are lots of good experienced people.  Good luck with your hens  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 20:49 »
Dust extracted wood shavings will be fine on the coop floor or better still Hemcore that can be bought from horse feed / bedding suppliers. I would start off with POL birds to gain experience then consider whether to take on a few ex-battery birds later.

If you go for POL have you considered what breed and how many. Hybrids are pretty placid birds and will lay 200+ eggs per year for the first couple of years. Pure Breeds will lay less but will lay longer. A lot depends why you are investing in hen keeping in the first place i.e. eggs, interest or both.

Good luck and enjoy.

evie2

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 22:07 »
Evening Grampa and welcome to the mad hen house :D  loads of good advice and information here.  Personally I wouldn't get exbats first time only because they may need a bit more TLC. 

Our Speckledy, Sussex and Ambers came as POLs, were used to being handled and are handled every day, they're not flighty birds and will come over to be with us when we're in the garden; they're very nosey, funny creatures and no matter what you get I can assure you life will never be dull :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 22:21 »
hello and welcome to the forum,  for first time birds prehaps go with POLs until you get used to owning chickens, theres nothing stopping you gettins some ex batt ladies later on,    Have a look around at breeders in your area, go and look at their setups making sure there birds are in good health,  first impressions really are important, if there setups are dirty then you can be sure the birds arnt in good health.   Good luck and looking forward to hearing about the arrival of your ladies.  nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Grampa

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 19:00 »
Thanks for the advice people. Went to the library and stocked up on chook books for the holiday - even got a couple on ducks. Hope this isn't heresy. More building when I get back ready for the big day.
 Thanks again - nice to know there's backup.

Grampa

xx
Help for first timer

Started by rickyd on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 12:25
by riversidemale
xx
First timer

Started by retribution on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post January 05, 2011, 15:16
by retribution
xx
First timer

Started by OLLIE on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 16:38
by FRUITFULL
xx
First timer with chicks

Started by Poolfield2 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 23:25
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 38 queries.