Merry Tiller Gasket?

• 7 Replies

Paxoboy

Merry Tiller Gasket?
« on: May 19, 2011, 13:14 »
Hi , new member here,  Just aquired a MT Major '73' white B and S 3HP engine with Pulsematic Carb . Got the spark going and engine running on petrol drips from can. Removed the carb and found the long Brass pick-up tube filter 'fossilised' at the end . Ordered new carb gaskets.  But now i want to do the rotor seals. I,v read that you cant pull them from the outside so need to split the case. My question....  Why cant you buy a chain case gasket???  they sell the bearings and seals so expect you to split the case. GRRR!!!

Gwiz

Re: Merry Tiller Gasket?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 16:38 »
It might be that the machine is now of a certain "vintage"

Bearings, seals and belts are pretty standard, and a lot of bearing suppliers can get you these items without any trouble at all.
original Parts for the rest of the machine are becoming rare.
As for the chaincase gasket, I reckon I'd use some instant gasket on that. Wurth do some very good ones (at a price) :)

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 19:30 »
I only ran out of early type gaskets two weeks ago! Wolseley dealers had a special tool so that you could remove seals without a strip down. There is a similar tool available for use on new Merry Tillers but as their seals are slightly different I can’t say if it works on older models, nor whether Mighty Mac dealers have them. I had to get new tooling made to remanufacture the oil seals but doubt if it is worth getting gaskets remanufactured as you can easily make your own with a pair of scissors. Also chaincase gaskets were a pain in the **** to send by post. The Mighty Mac “Super Major” uses an almost identical chaincase to your 1973 machine so you can use their gasket if you like, part number 709-1654. Post 1978 Webb Merry Tillers use a different chaincase and a different gasket (also unavailable).  I would not advise using silicone goo on its own as the inner idler bearing race in the chaincase is gripped by the case which is sandwiched between the chassis rails, so gasket thickness is important. Those last Atco gaskets were made from 1.5mm thick cork nitrile.
R Tallentire

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 05:21 »
you're quite right about the silicone. I always leave the remains of the gasket in place and put a smear of gasket around to seal it. I should have made that clear.

Paxoboy

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 10:39 »
R. Tallentire  mentions a part number 709-1654 for a gasket ,but which web site does it relate to?... Got my carb diaphram , painted the fuel tank.  But a bit miffed that when i ordered a 'slider' throttle control ,it did,nt come with the attachment for the handlebar. The old throttle has completly different.  Does anyone know what the fixing is called . It looks like it should be a 'coach bolt' which then 'morfs' onto a jubilee clip?  This is a 'generic' type control for a lot of applications and ,no, i cant find one on the B+S website.

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 12:42 »
You go to Mighty Mac’s website, look up the nearest dealer on their locator and go to them for the gasket. There were several different throttle lever/cable assemblies used on Merry Tillers over the years, luckily only the early models with front mounted fuel tanks used a special cable. Models with rear mounted tanks can use a universal type cable which comes with a control box and lever attached and has mounting holes at 2” centres which fit the matching holes in your handlebars. The exception is the Wizard/Cadet which used a cable and lever assembly with narrower hole centres so needs a different “universal cable/lever assembly”. If you ordered the right cable and lever assembly you should have got the right cable and lever assembly.

Paxoboy

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 12:28 »
Check my roto out . Gave it to my Brother and he loved it.  Said it was the 'Morris Minor' of rotovators .
-ysLiRnImyQ
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 20:23 by Paxoboy »

Paxoboy

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 12:46 »
So , in the end it was, new diaphram, new metering jet (with adjustment idle screw), throttle slide, The removal of shellac from the 'pick-up'n tube and removing and re-attaching of the coil thingy. ( it did,nt have a spark but  when i re-attached it it had a spark?)  (re-magnatisation perhaps?) because when i took it off it 'locked on to  the flywheel). I had to rip it off (very strong magnet). The only thig i hav,nt replaced is the gov spring.   This 'Pulse' matic carb has to run rich at idle so it can carry the load at higher up the rev range  as there is no 'emulsifing' compensation tube in the carb ,just a hole (one for idle and one for main running ).(73 model). You try and adust it for good idleing but it wont carry the load when your digging deep. so run rich at idle.   (just like F1 cars (dodo at idle, superb at 30 thousand revs).  You can see it running on the 'youtube link'  . I added a 'white' segment on the flywheel to give a 'strobe' affect.  -ysLiRnImyQ
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 12:51 by Paxoboy »

xx
merry tiller and mantis tiller - compare/contrast?

Started by mushroom on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 05:17
by Gwiz
xx
Merry Tiller

Started by D Wilson on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post October 17, 2007, 18:50
by D Wilson
xx
Merry Tiller Help

Started by peterryall on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post October 18, 2006, 05:46
by Gwiz
xx
merry tiller

Started by daveylamp on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post April 16, 2012, 08:17
by daveylamp

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 38 queries.