Any suggestions as to a good make of woodburning stove?

• 32 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Any suggestions as to a good make of woodburning stove?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 01:44 »
Nice one, thanks :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

noshed

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 09:52 »
Glad to see you're preparing somewhere warm for the AVG work teams to warm their socks.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

compostqueen

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 12:34 »
I love mine and the way it heats up the room very quickly. If we get too hot we open the door to let the heat permeate its way into the hall and upstairs

We built a proper log store last week and are about to begin mark 2

Gwiz

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 16:48 »
The Morso stoves are very good, We bought one second hand, but had to stop using it because the room got too hot!
In the end, we bought a small "Firefox" which is in the heat output range you've mentioned. It was quite reasonably priced, and has proved to be very well built.
Don't forget that if you buy one new, you should always light a few small fires in it first, before going the whole hog and turning it into a furnace, the metal has to "settle in" first....

Have a look at the range of stoves from "machine mart" as well, they're not too bad price-wise and you may find one in your area.
Country wise sell stoves as do scats.

Poolfield2

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 18:30 »
We have an ancient Jotul stove and they are worth buying even secondhand, very easy to keep going 24/7 which is imporant as you want to come down in the morning, open the door and chuck in more wood and find that it just carries on with no need for paper etc.

I have to admit that the older Jotuls may not pass Val's appearance criteria ::) though, they are efficient but a bit on the ugly side

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 00:55 »
I've seen Jotuls running in Norway - very warm to say the least! It was +28 in the lounge and -28 on the terrace!

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 07:39 »
we fitted ours last year, although i cant remember the name lol. we didnt have a chimney so ours has a twin wall external flue running outside the back of the house, best money i have ever spent!  
i done lots of cooking on mine last winter including rice pudding stews, bananas & chocolate wrapped in foil and the obvious, toasting marshmallows. I LOVE MY WOODBURNER
woodburner.jpg
LISA X X X

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 21:27 »
Hi
Last year I bought 3 small ones from saltfire stoves on the internet they were a good price and the company was very helpful as we had to fit diy because of a low income. They helped us size them and comply with building regs.

Two replaced open fires and I was amazed by the heat they throw out for the size I can beleive that they are 70% more effiecent.

The third is in a tiny space in the kitchen and the space on top just fits two very small pans where i heat soup, veg and water for my hot water bottle.

I heated the house totally on free wood and newspaper think I have enough for this year already.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Trillium

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 22:45 »
I remember those ugly old Jotuls. A friend had one and loved it. She also covered her ceiling in skid boards rather than plasterboard, so there you go.

Jotul seems to have improved in appearance, no doubt to high demand to do so. I'd buy this one if I had the money:

http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 23:47 »
Thanks Rachelk - I'd looked at those and was worried about them maybe being too cheap. Nice to know they're OK :)

Stree

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 15:28 »
Another thumbs up for Saltfire stoves the pic from needsomehelp looks like mine, a "Dorset" from Saltfire.......15kw max, steady 12kw. and thats pretty hot. Most expensive part was the stainless insulated flue to get out of the roof.
I treated myself to this for the workshop!
I am also rigging up some old radiators to run from it, using microbore pipe coiled around the fluepipe as the heat source with header tank, vent pipe, CH pump etc.
Also just been to my local sawmill and noted that they sell a ton of hardwood offcuts for £45, local tree loppers want triple that for logs!

Poolfield2

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 23:09 »
I've just been given about 1 ton of horse chestnut logs, a branch came down in the local churchyard and the chap that cut it up insisted it was my turn to take free wood home, result!

I will need to borrow a friend's log splitter though as the logs are up to 18" diameter.

diggerjoe

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 16:08 »
read this post now I want one as well  :nowink:

Spana

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 16:51 »
Ours is a Clearview.    Great heat, flat top, has what i think was called airwashed doors or something along those lines.   :)
The flue  goes up through the floor and on up through the bedroom above so its warms upstairs as well.  Not everyone would want a big silver tube in their bedroom but i quite like it.  :lol:

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 17:00 by Spana »

tedsdad

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 17:00 »
Rayburn every time,not one of the flat-packed tinny things go second hand save a packet,get something thats loads better,you can always get an oil-fired job for£400-800 and convert to multifuel.Morso in the living room,squirrels are good,doves will also run some rads.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 39 queries.