Help constructing raised beds

• 11 Replies

Stratts

• Experienced Member
Help constructing raised beds
« on: August 16, 2011, 16:18 »
Hi guys now I've got my plot sorted I am going to build a raised area for a permanent strawberry bed.

I have some 8" x 2" timber and it will be approx 8' x 3' in size. 

Is this big enough for strawbs?

The area i plan to put it on was previously grass which I've had covered with black polythene.  Is it a good idea to cover the existing ground level with weed membrane then build the bed on top and infill with soil? 

I'm guessing 8 or 9 inches of soil would be deep enough for strawbs and it'll stop anything growing up from the existing rubbish ground?

Cheers

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
Re: Help constructing raised beds
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 16:50 »
I'd dig the grass out and wouldn't use polythene anywhere because its a pain to get out later. Had it in a lot of place under the soil when we took over our plot. 

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 17:33 »
i took our allotment on recently(as you can see in posts little overgrown) and was told by holders on the site to clear ure site of debris then strim down to the ground and cover with plastic and make raised beds to fill with soil.but thought
 1-it gonna cost fortune in plastic to cover my site
2-it gonna be even more costly filling all the raised beds with soil and compost
3-how do worms get through the plastic arent they good for your soil
so i decided to go the cheap route and labour intensive way of digging out my beds and clearing away all the ground weeds.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 18:30 »

Only make your beds as wide as you can easily reach across.   :blush:   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 18:42 »

Only make your beds as wide as you can easily reach across.   

4 feet is common.  ;)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 19:10 »
If you are filling the bed with soil, putting weed suppressant membrane in first will stop most weeds from making their way through, but there will always be those that creep up around the edges -- couch, bindweed, dock being some that come to mind.

Taking off the 'turf' first, then building the bed would get rid of most weeds/grass. You couls stack the turf to mulch down too  :)

Our strawberry bed is 1.2m wide, and I can just reach the middle like that. It is six inches deep above ground level  but not completely filled with soil.

Easy size to net against bird theft too  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Stratts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 22:22 »
Ok thanks for the ideas guys

TerryB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 12:47 »
i took our allotment on recently(as you can see in posts little overgrown) and was told by holders on the site to clear ure site of debris then strim down to the ground and cover with plastic and make raised beds to fill with soil.but thought
2-it gonna be even more costly filling all the raised beds with soil and compost
so i decided to go the cheap route and labour intensive way of digging out my beds and clearing away all the ground weeds.
You took best route, but you can fill the beds from soil that you dig out of your paths and repace this with wood chip.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 15:29 »
Before you put down the membrane, spread out flattened, thick cardboard over the area, then the membrane on top. This really stops weeds and will eventually compost down.

The 3' bed works too if that's what you have. Just try not to crowd the first planting as runners will come along next year and you need space for them. I space mine about a hand trowel length lengthwise, and in a raised bed you can do same for width.

Stratts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 11:29 »
Ok thanks

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 14:09 »
You took best route, but you can fill the beds from soil that you dig out of your paths and repace this with wood chip.
back breaking but being new to allotmenting always after new ideas,terry weres youre allotment?

TerryB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 16:48 »
back breaking but being new to allotmenting always after new ideas,terry weres youre allotment?
Harris behind Tranmere Rovers ground

xx
New way of constructing veggie beds, more efficient watering, increased yields !

Started by no_akira on Design and Construction

30 Replies
Last post August 06, 2016, 22:57
by snowdrops
xx
Raised Beds

Started by Nic on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 14:04
by Aunt Sally
xx
More raised beds!

Started by EddieJ on Design and Construction

28 Replies
Last post December 03, 2010, 21:35
by EddieJ
xx
raised beds

Started by dustcartkev on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post January 08, 2013, 19:18
by Trillium

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 37 queries.