Day Lily as cut flower?

• 2 Replies

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
Day Lily as cut flower?
« on: March 09, 2011, 17:15 »
I have just been reading on wikipedia that even though the day lily flower only last 24 hours at best,it can still become a really good cut flower. It is believed that new flowers will emerge over a period of several days on the cut stem. Is this fact or fiction,am I being taken for a ride here? Would love to hear from any of you guys in the know about this,as I love day lilies,but never dreamt they would make a good cut flower. Thank you for your time  :)
people talk rubbish

Trillium

Re: Day Lily as cut flower?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 20:08 »
Despite the huge selection of daylilies everywhere in my garden, I've never bothered using them for cut flowers, simply for the reason you stated - only one day of bloom. You could use them if you don't mind removing the very spent flowers each day (and believe me, they look like they've been through the wars by 24 hours). As for subsequent flowers on the stem, that's a hard one to advise on. The newer types are referred to as candelabrum branching - with many buds per stalk. The problem here is that if cut, it doesn't mean that all the flower buds will open as gladioli do when cut. You may be lucky to get a quarter of the buds open before the whole stalk dies off. A shame when, if left on the plant, all would eventually open.

My best advice is to simply plant the daylily close to where you walk or sit so you can appreciate it to advantage when it's in full bloom. And some of the newer types can bloom over a very long period of time. One older one I have by my front door called Bonanza will bloom continuously for close to 2 months once it reached full maturity (about 3 yrs). It's a real show and has a bit of fragrance. And yes, despite info to the contrary, a few varieties do have fragrance, just as a few varieties are strictly night bloomers (for moths). The beauty of daylilies is that once planted and you're sure they're okay, they need no further care at all. Their goal is to live and flower and are exceedingly tough.

More info here:
http://www.mikesbackyardgarden.org/daylilygen.html

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
Re: Day Lily as cut flower?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 21:55 »
Thank-you Trillium for your reply. I guess there are other more apt flowers for cutting,so my day lilies can stay on the stem in the ground :)

xx
Lily

Started by Bernard on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 19:35
by peapod
xx
lily bug

Started by crackedflowerpots on General Gardening

24 Replies
Last post May 09, 2008, 22:53
by Bernard
xx
Red Lily Beetle

Started by Celtic Eagle on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2006, 18:23
by hermon
xx
Lily of the Valley

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 11:41
by Sweetpea C

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 35 queries.