Blueberry plants

• 12 Replies

supervegman

Blueberry plants
« on: December 05, 2010, 11:01 »
I have two blueberry plants i bought from Homebase this year....have moved them inside to the shed by the window on the bench, will they be ok. I have noticed over the past few onmths leaves have fallen from them when they were brought into the greenhouse is this ok.

vegikev

Re: Blueberry plants
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 11:12 »
yep. they will be fine. mine stay out all winter and ive not had any problems :D
"mission"to grow bigger veg than my brother

supervegman

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 11:25 »
Cheers Kev, i Have just got some of those plastic trugs from the local hardware store and planted some Red Electric oions. They sprouted in modules  over thr last motnh and about 10cm high, thought i was high time i planted them out. i have planted some outside as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 11:25 »
Should be fine. Blueberries are deciduous so lose their leaves every year (and turn a very attractive shade of red in the autumn to boot!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 16:30 »
i Have just got some of those plastic trugs from the local hardware store and planted some Red Electric oions.

I hope you put drainage holes in the trugs?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

supervegman

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 07:53 »
Yes drilled sveral holes in these and stood them on a few bricks

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 00:42 »
They have some blureberry plants on ebay,

Just though about buying some frrom there, my local homebase, grow shop dont have any

how long do they have to be in the ground before they fruit

(by this I mean, in years, I dont expect anything in a fortnight after planting out)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 10:21 »
Might be pushing it to expect plants not already in the ground to fruit next year (it varies with variety but they tend to flower quite early in the year.)

Everything else being equal, the amount of fruit you get is directly related to the size of the plant; they are quite slow-growing so you can't expect that much fruit until they reach full size (around 3 or 4 years.)

Just remember that birds, blackbirds in particular in my case, love them even more than you probably do!  ;)

pepsi100

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 10:39 »
Might be pushing it to expect plants not already in the ground to fruit next year (it varies with variety but they tend to flower quite early in the year.)

Everything else being equal, the amount of fruit you get is directly related to the size of the plant; they are quite slow-growing so you can't expect that much fruit until they reach full size (around 3 or 4 years.)

Just remember that birds, blackbirds in particular in my case, love them even more than you probably do!  ;)

I didnt know about the birds, but thinking about it, I can see that any berries are going to be a target

This guy on Ebays says his plants are either pug or some about 3 feet high in a 3L pot (what is a pug ?)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 10:53 »
This guy on Ebays says his plants are either pug or some about 3 feet high in a 3L pot (what is a pug ?)

Errrrrmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Apart from being a breed of dog I really haven't a clue!    :unsure:

Maybe they are tiny plants grown from seed in plugs? If so I would expect them to be much cheaper than the almost fully-grown plants in 3L pots and if so you would have a very long wait before they were big enough to fruit!

pepsi100

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 10:57 »
Maybe thats what he meant, just didnt put in the L, just for the L of it :)

I suppose I'd really like something to get a crop from next year or is that being too optimistic ? :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 11:11 »
If you really can get hold of 3' plants in 3L pots (remember you need at least 2, of different varieties but similar flowering times to get the best pollination) I think you would stand a good chance of getting fruit next year.

You need to hope that your supplier's plant husbandry and knowledge is better than his spelling! I would be checking his credentials and asking him some questions before purchasing to make sure he knows what he's doing.

pepsi100

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 11:17 »
If you really can get hold of 3' plants in 3L pots (remember you need at least 2, of different varieties but similar flowering times to get the best pollination) I think you would stand a good chance of getting fruit next year.

You need to hope that your supplier's plant husbandry and knowledge is better than his spelling! I would be checking his credentials and asking him some questions before purchasing to make sure he knows what he's doing.

Questions ?Like what do I ask him ?

I could get 2 plants from different sellers, thats easy enough ;)

xx
Blueberry plants.

Started by Settman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 19:12
by Settman
xx
Blueberry plants

Started by Freerider on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 12:32
by pippy001
xx
Blueberry Plants

Started by simbamara on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 08, 2013, 15:15
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Re-potting Blueberry plants

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 15:34
by ianl

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 34 queries.