Coop and run

• 10 Replies

gabbo

Coop and run
« on: May 03, 2010, 19:42 »
Hi All

Not sure if this is the right place to post this as its my first post (probably of many with questions)

We have decided we would like to keep chickens in our garden and have allocated a reasonable size spot approx 2m x 4m with a wall on one side and 2 sides sheltered with fences (we will of course roof it as we have a cat)

Anyway back to the main question - can you recommend a site where we can purchase a coop and run - we're thinking of starting with 4 and dont expect to have more than 6.

Many thanks

karlooben

Re: Coop and run
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 19:54 »
i would recommend getting a shed u can get them cheap enough nowadays , but it really depends on how much money u have to spend . u dont need to look out for your cat as such but be warned of mr fox and if u build a run make sure its as solid as u can make it .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

gabbo

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 20:00 »
i would recommend getting a shed u can get them cheap enough nowadays , but it really depends on how much money u have to spend . u dont need to look out for your cat as such but be warned of mr fox and if u build a run make sure its as solid as u can make it .

thanks for the info, but i would prefer to purchase than make and adapt for 2 reasons - i dont have the time/knowledge on what to do, but also ability is the bigger problem!  :lol:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 20:05 »
Try ebay but don't buy a cheap Chinese coop as they are rubbish.
Cheese makes everything better.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 20:06 »
Would u mind not uzn txt spk m8.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 20:19 »
That's a coop from Pet Pads and mine was very flimsy.  Certainly wouldn't buy another.

Elcie

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 20:22 »
Hi Gabbo, the biggest issue really would be the size of the run.  Although these sites/companies often state how many chickens they are suitable for this is usually, in practice, an overestimate.

Minimum run space per bird is one square metre and on here most people advocate space up to 2 square metres per bird.  I looked a couple of times but couldn't see a run size for your first suggested one.  The second one, at  1300L x 950D x 1210H mm is no where near big enough for the number of birds they suggest - I will let you do the math!

gabbo

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 20:31 »
Hi Gabbo, the biggest issue really would be the size of the run.  Although these sites/companies often state how many chickens they are suitable for this is usually, in practice, an overestimate.

Minimum run space per bird is one square metre and on here most people advocate space up to 2 square metres per bird.  I looked a couple of times but couldn't see a run size for your first suggested one.  The second one, at  1300L x 950D x 1210H mm is no where near big enough for the number of birds they suggest - I will let you do the math!

ok thanks can you recommend somewhere that would?

gabbo

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 20:31 »
That's a coop from Pet Pads and mine was very flimsy.  Certainly wouldn't buy another.
thanks for the heads up  :)

xx
Where to put a coop/run

Started by red on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 12:25
by Lastcast
xx
New Coop

Started by Thatcherschild on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 22:55
by emmaellis
xx
Hot coop?

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 17:02
by Goldfinger
xx
COOP

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2008, 21:55
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 32 queries.