ARE THEY EATING ENOUGH??

• 11 Replies

NATHAN

ARE THEY EATING ENOUGH??
« on: May 27, 2007, 03:38 »
A bit of advice needed if anyone can help?

I have 3 medium chickens that i keep in an Ark. They get 4oz of layers pellets in the morning between them. 4oz of corn in the afternoon (3ish) and veg if they are not going out in the garden or as much grass as they can eat if they are.
I have noticed that they are only really eating about half of the layers pellets which i am concerned about as i understand that this is where most of the nutrients are in their diet. I wonder if it is because they know they will get corn and veg that they dont eat the pellets? They all seem healthy and are laying well.
Any thoughts on the matter???

Danielle280

ARE THEY EATING ENOUGH??
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 04:20 »
Hi there, My chickens are fed all they can eat, the have food available at all times. Maybe mix the layer pellets and the corn together and dont feed them more until the dish is empty..

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
ARE THEY EATING ENOUGH??
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 11:36 »
My goirls have pellets available ad lib too.  They only get other food late in the day.  They free range around my garden when I'm at home.

If your hens are healthy and laying then they seem OK to me.  Do insure they get sufficient calcium, crushed oyster shell is best.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
ARE THEY EATING ENOUGH??
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 14:23 »
Cut down the corn, they have come to realise that corn comes later and will wait and leave their pellets. If you mix the two I bet there's no corn left by the afternoon.  :wink:  :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

NATHAN

ARE THEY EATING ENOUGH??
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 03:33 »
Yep u are right. If i mix the corn with the pellets then the corn is gone and the pellets are left. I thought is was just kids that you have this sort of problem with!! Do they have to eat the pellets??

Danielle280

ARE THEY EATING ENOUGH??
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 04:55 »
You must give them pellets, it provide the nutrients they need. Mix the corn and pellets together, and dont give them anymore food until they are finished all of it.. it might take all day. ( dont add anymore corn until the pellets are gone! even if they pick all the corn out and eat it)
its sounds to me like you are spoil your chickens too much! and they are taking advantage of you!!  :wink:

Try this. They will not starve themselves! they will eat the pellets if they get hungry enough.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
ARE THEY EATING ENOUGH??
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 09:29 »
If it was me I would withdraw the corn completely, everything they need is in the layers, corn's a treat or a way of keeping them warm overnight.
Then when they get used to eating the layers give a little corn again just before bed.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
ARE THEY EATING ENOUGH??
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 09:37 »
Good advise (as usual) Richy  :D

alan42

• Experienced Member
ARE THEY EATING ENOUGH??
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 14:56 »
layers pellets from march untill october then corn for the remainder of the year corn in winter as richy says to keep body temp up and layers in summer for the vitamins minerals ect. as said they will not starve themselfs to death they will eat what you give them eventually. months are approx as depends what the weather is doing.
alan

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
ARE THEY EATING ENOUGH??
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 15:52 »
... and if like mine they were laying all through the winter - silly birds have not read the chicken keeping books  :roll:

RobfromDeal

ARE THEY EATING ENOUGH??
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 17:11 »
I mix the pellets with mash then they seem to eat the pellets up.  also mix in the grit is well.
Robert Creron

Danielle280

ARE THEY EATING ENOUGH??
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 21:11 »
Sounds good robfromdeal. In the winter is get very cold where I live, so every morning i bring some layer pellets in and put some boiling hot water on it and it makes it into a hot mash to warm them up. They eat it like there is no tomorrow! Maybe try doing that? Because i know my chickens love it, and it the same thing

xx
egg eating

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2015, 02:19
by Beekissed
xx
Egg eating

Started by swiftnicks on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 18:00
by argylepete
xx
Egg Eating

Started by cookieb on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 20:05
by mother hen
xx
Egg eating

Started by mumbogill on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 18:04
by mumbogill

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 35 queries.