check your onions!

• 6 Replies

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
check your onions!
« on: February 14, 2009, 22:37 »
just a tip/heads up.  I ordered onion sets from Marshalls, expecting them to come late Feb but they sent them immediately (Jan) and i have realised why, they were obviously struggling to keep them in good nick, they are a bit soft and now some are rotting.  Maybe i stored them incorrectly but i put them in boxes and then in the fridge to stop sprouting (an odd one had started already) and thought they would be ok until March when i plan to plant them.  Anyhow i had a look today and about 10% of them are very soft and rotting so i sorted through and disposed of these, put on kitchen roll; and back in the fridge, will watch closely now.   So watch your onions is my advice but if i am not storing them correctly let me know, i'm sure you won't be shy   ;)

Cawdor

good news is after a long time planted my Autumn sown onions and garlic are showing nicely now, hurrah.
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

Babstreefern

Re: check your onions!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 22:43 »
Send them back - they'll replace them for you. :tongue2:
Babs

sclarke624

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 00:24 »
I wasn't sure how to store mine so Iput them in the fridge, they are ok.  Took them out yesterday as I plan to plant soon when soil drys up a bit under a cloche.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 08:47 »
I ordered my seed potatoes from them and they sent the wrong order  >:(

didn't bother complaining though; I've started to chit the first earlies which will be going in as soon as the weather warms a bit, and I'll just get the other varieties from another site.

This was the first time I've used them for seeds etc; I'm still waiting for the second part of my order to arrive next month (chinese artichoke tubers and 2 grape vines) before I pass judgement whether i'll use them again.

Never had a problem with Suttons, but the Marshalls catalogue came first ::)

Babstreefern is right and you should send them back;  it's not your fault if their stock is substandard.  at least if you get your money back you can buy the sets from somewhere else if need be.

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 10:47 »
normally found them to be okay. Last seeds i got from Suttons did not germinate at all, not a single one, they were japanese bulb onions and winter hardy spring onions.  For spuds this year i have saved a seed fraction from the 5 varieties i grew last year and they are chitting now in my potting shed, in fact saying that has reminded me to go and take off the layers of frost protection now the frost risk has passed, temporarily at least.

Cawdor

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 13:24 »
Don't store them in the fridge, they need cool and light storage not like spuds which need dark and cool, also the humidity in the fridge will be too high, mine are on the work top in the utility room in their net bag.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

sclarke624

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 14:47 »
There you are cawdor if you send them back don't tell them you stored in fridge.

xx
Check out the size of my Onions

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 21:43
by Mitsy
xx
Check your stored onions

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 01, 2016, 12:49
by Paul Plots
xx
just want to check if im ok to sow

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 14, 2008, 19:50
by peapod
xx
Check Your Garlic..

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2018, 16:06
by juvenal

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 32 queries.