New Allottment offer (advice needed) please help

• 23 Replies

kezlou

« on: June 03, 2008, 15:53 »
Hi everyone not sure if this is the right place for this question If not please feel free to move it to the right spot. Thanks  :)

Quick question.

I have just been made an offer regarding taken on an 10 year old bramble ridden allotment.
Apparently it is completely disused and roots are apparently enormous and the officer (council employee) said it would take a gang of four men of working 7 days a week 1/2 a month to sort it out minimum.

He said he might be able to give me a bramble ridden plot free for one year, and depending on my progress 1/2 price maybe the following year.
I was quite surprised at this offer then he told ten people had tried to clear it and failed miserably.   :shock:

The site itself is about 3 miles away, so i would either be travelling there by foot or public transport with my 4 yr old son in tow. My 8yr old loves the idea of digging the brambles up, but we all know kids.
At the same time he told me the waiting list is 18 months minimum but as i'm number 28 it probably 5yrs min.  :x

If anyone can give any advice regarding what to do i would be extremely grateful. I want to take the plot on but at the same time i don't want to take an absolute nightmare that i'll regret in the future.

Thanks for reading this message and for any advice giving.
Kerry
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

iwantanallotment

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 16:00 »
I'd take it - what have you to lose by trying?
It's certainly a challenge....but don't worry about the other 10 people who gave up on it - lots of people give up on allotments. I reckon there are even more folks here who have taken on bramble-ridden lotties and won, and I bet they'll be along to offer you advice  :D
Good luck!

simond9383

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 16:11 »
I took on a plot last Autumn that hadn't been cultivated for several years which was at least one third brambles and now have about 60% in cultivation with the rest under carpet until this Autumn.

Assuming that you are reasonably fit and are able to give say one day a week to it, it isn't as hard as you would think clearing an overgrown plot as long as you pace yourself.  Brambles aren't as difficult as you would think (apart from the scratches!) as they are shallow rooting and once you have cut down the stems, the roots do come out fairly easily - you'll find that an enormous are of bramble will turn out to be just a few roots to be dug out. It also helps if you are happy to use glyphosate.

Go for it!  Try and get one or two beds into quick cultivation and then spend the rest of this year working steadily on the rest.
Try to be organic ...sort of ...most of the time ...

peggyprice

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 16:14 »
How do you feel about the travelling?  

We're having a very similar discussion about the plots available to us at the moment - we have a choice of a severely brambled/overgrown plot four miles away, a well-tended-till-recently plot 7 miles away, or stick on the waiting list for a local one (but on a site where everyone seems to be v enthusiastic about their plots and unlikely to give them up anytime soon).

I'm trying (and failing!) to be realistic about how often I'm going to feel like making the journey when I'm weary and the weeds are getting the better of me  :?

But as IWAA says, what have you got to lose?*  Rent free for a year, try it and see how you get on - specially if you can get hold of a flame thrower  :lol: (though maybe not when 8 & 4 yr olds are around  :shock: )

* That's assuming you can stay on the waiting list for a better plot - have you checked?
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

SkipRat

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 16:32 »
I would take the plot, as stated in an earlier post brambles are reasonably shallow rooting. Give yourself a realistic target of how fast you will be able to clear the plot. Remember an allotment is a long term investment in hard work and sweat, if you only clear a third a year it dosent matter as long as you are able to plant as you go. A good mattock and an azada will make short work of the brambles, go for it.. :D
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

woodburner

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 17:21 »
I took on a brambly plot about 10 years ago. Cleared it by scything off the top stuff (burns like crazy - use it to burn couch grass and seedy weeds.) then double dug the area. Only one root went significantly below two spits deep, and it never showed it's face again. IMHO glyphosate is pointless, you still have to get rid of the remains, and it's not easier just because it's dead. And just to boost your confidence, (if you're sexist at least ;) ) I'm not a bloke, as some people think  :lol:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

kezlou

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 18:49 »
Thanks everyone for all the advice, i think i'll give it a go. I don't mind travelling especially if its a nice sunny day. But i can one bus which takes me straight to the allotment sites gates.

peggyprice: No idea like if i can stay on the allotment list, i'll have to find out about that one. I'd prefer a plot closer to home but what can you do.

Wow thought brambles were deep rooted looks like i was wrong  :oops:

Well this weekend maybe or Friday i think i will go over to Town Farm where the allotments are and have a look at them.

Oh quick question how much do mattock and  azada cost and what are they  :oops: yes i'm an idiot. At the moment i'm a using a trowel , spade and lots of containers in my yard.

Could i use this same sort of approach with brambles and a saw?  :?

peggyprice

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 18:59 »
Quote from: "kezlou"
Oh quick question how much do mattock and  azada cost and what are they  :oops: yes i'm an idiot.   :?

if you find out can you tell me too 'cause I don't know either and I haven't dared ask  :oops: :lol:  :oops:

woodentop

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 19:12 »
Lots of cheap tools here. Free delivery too.
 http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/

woodburner

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 19:25 »
Loppers are a lot easier to find than azada/mattock, and cheaper too.
Only if the roots are really really tangled might you need a mattock. Heh I could use one for getting rid of Kerria roots ;)  :shock:

Lardman

Re: New Allottment offer (advice needed) please help
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 19:27 »

I have just been made an offer regarding taken on an 10 year old bramble ridden allotment.

Sounds like my back garden  :D

As woodburner states - get a GOOD THICK pair of gloves and set about it, cut the top growth off - (I found hedge lopper useful) burn it. You'll be surprised how much top comes from one root, brambles are all mouth and no trousers, take the roots out with a fork.

It took me longer to pull the thorns out after clearing a 20ft square patch than it did to clear it.  Your council man is probably talking council work hours .... :D

Save the chemicals for the "iceberg" weeds. You'll know them when you see them.

SalJ1980

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 20:00 »
azadas and mattocks here (also slashers and curved slashers!  :shock:  :lol: )

Get Digging
Sal

Organic...so far!

kezlou

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 20:06 »
Hey peggy i'm the best for asking dumb questions its one of my few good habits!!! :lol:

LOL hardman what are you like!

Thanks for the links i'll have a look at those sites tonight. What's 'iceberg' weeds?  :? Thought the brambles would be bad enough.

Lardman

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 20:40 »
What's 'iceberg' weeds?  :? Thought the brambles would be bad enough.

2/3s of it is hidden deep, deep, deep underground. Im sure last week  I saw a root actively digging down quicker than I was to avoid being removed.  :twisted: I had been in the sun without a hat on for a while though  :D

My personal favorite at the moment is bind weed - many a rude word has been uttered while weeding around the peas and then slowly unwinding the blasted stuff.

iwantanallotment

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 21:32 »
Quote from: "Lardman"

My personal favorite at the moment is bind weed - many a rude word has been uttered while weeding around the peas and then slowly unwinding the blasted stuff.

Mine too, Lardman. It gets everywhere and so quick - I pull a pile up and in a blink it's back again, with reinforcements! Literally strangles plants, puny as it is. Horrible stuff.

xx
New Allottment-Soil Improvment Tips Needed

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 20:32
by erainn
xx
can anyone offer advice on my leek seedlings

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 11, 2007, 11:21
by mickeyboy
xx
how do i get rid of deer on the allottment without covering everything up .

Started by earlybirds on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 03, 2013, 16:02
by jrko
xx
advice needed

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 21, 2012, 21:31
by prikay

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 29 queries.