What am I going to do now?- Local nursery closed

• 42 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: What am I going to do now?- Local nursery closed
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 18:04 »

I've noticed in my local Wilko that they don't appear to be selling loose seed potatoes this year which is a shame.

They had little in our local in the way of gardening. Perhaps it's just too early yet?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

victoria park

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 19:40 »
You must be unlucky. I was in Wilko this morning and they are selling loose seed potatoes for £1.50 per bag. Picknmix. The difficult bit is logging the identity of the mixed varieties in one bag.  :)
Only 10 varieties but still a waaaaaaaaaaay better service than any other high street shop of it's kind.

Paul Plots

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 09:21 »
You must be unlucky. I was in Wilko this morning and they are selling loose seed potatoes for £1.50 per bag. Picknmix. The difficult bit is logging the identity of the mixed varieties in one bag.  :)
Only 10 varieties but still a waaaaaaaaaaay better service than any other high street shop of it's kind.

Thanks for the tip.... when I'm next in town I'll drop in to see if our local has any seeds for sale. I still prefer to get my potato seed from the local nursery. I have strict instructions about which types to grow this year.

Anyone tried pink fir apple? T&M want £4.99 a Kg for these without postage. Daft. I can get them locally at the same price as other varieties.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 17:21 »
I'm told that PFA has a distinctive (nice!) taste - but I have an undiscerning palate so never noticed it ..  :wub:

It's rather knobbly so a bit of a nightmare if you wanted to peel it.  Even washing can be a bit timeconsuming.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2017, 09:13 »
Pink Fir Apple are very nice.  I've grown them before but Anya are nearly as nice, earlier so they miss blight and less of a kitchen challenge  ;)

I didn't peel my PFA, just washed them well.  They are lovely roasted with a bit of olive oil, seasoning and a few herbs.  They also boil/steam nicely and do have a great flavour  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2017, 09:51 »
I grow them every year, a great salad potato & supposedly good for chips but don't think I've chipped them. Yes very nobbly but I too just scrub them, in fact I've still got some in the garage
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Alifink

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2017, 12:02 »
I've still got PFA in the garage and they taste almost as good as when harvested, and just wash and boil to cook.  The Anya whilst very similar taste wise do not have the storage life.

Paul Plots

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2017, 12:42 »
PFA does have a long storage life.

There are similar varieties (can't recall name). They are not so pink but have the same general appearance and a nutty flavour when used as a salad potato.

I grew both last year - not a bad crop size wise. (They coped in a newly dug-up lawn although the ground's moisture retention needs improving....compost!!)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2017, 14:34 »
Anya is the one that is like PFA, it was bred from it, which NS suggested
Pink Fir Apple are very nice.  I've grown them before but Anya are nearly as nice, earlier so they miss blight and less of a kitchen challenge  ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 14:35 by mumofstig »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2017, 20:31 »
Well an up date for DD, I went to Hawgrips  on Monday, & got most of what I wanted, then got Lady Christal & Ambo in ( I know you like these DD). No Lady Balfour though, which is a shame as they do really well for me. All laid out really well in sections, first early, 2nd early etc. As posted before £2.25 a kg so £11.49 for me. Good as well becaus I got to choose all hen egg sized potatoes, kept the cost down as well I suppose
Oh & they'd got loose onion & shallot sets too

Thanks for the update, Snowdrops and the rest. Not long back from Cyprus and just catching up with things at this end. Looks like a spin out next week,  fingers crossed there's some left!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

unclebulgaria

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2017, 08:40 »
Yes its a shame about Brookside Nursery, sad that we are loosing all the small, friendly businesses, and the knowledge that goes with them.

I notice that your from the Loughborough area. Have you tried Brooklea Nursery at Rothley? Its just on the opposite side of the road from the big Wyevale.

They usually stock a good range of seed potatoes and also loose onion sets and garlic from what I remember. Might be worth a look for you.

Tom Parrot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2017, 20:15 »
Hello DD,
If going for mail order don't forget the expense of post and packing, also some mail order companies are not cheap.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2017, 14:04 »
Brooklea do indeed have seed spuds, not such a great selection, but the ones I wanted AND only £1.60 a kilo.

Not that I wanted them, but the loose pea seed are a bit expensive at £10 a kilo. Moles Seeds are almost half that (even less for high quantities), so even paying postage they would work out cheaper.

xx
Local Nursery selling ....

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 12, 2009, 21:09
by aelf
xx
new nursery

Started by muddifoot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 16:36
by franmeerkat
xx
nursery advice

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 09:33
by willp
xx
new seed nursery

Started by bigmac on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 20:37
by DD.

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 36 queries.