Weed suppressant recommendations

• 37 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Weed suppressant recommendations
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 11:00 »
but cut a slot along the top of the ridge (for the haulms to grow through) rather than individual holes - as it seems a bit hit and miss where they actually grow through  ::)

I like the sound of that, less fraying than a CROSS cut too (notwithstanding the good suggestions to use a hot-cut to prevent fraying)

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2015, 17:58 »

So! Whats the verdict on the staples you can get to pin the membrane down? Any good? Would save everywhere been littered with bricks and would save me carting bricks everywhere...

As far as using it for tatties - we use tyre stacks which need very little weeding once the plant has grown a bit.
Everything spotty....

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2015, 01:41 »
Whats the verdict on the staples you can get to pin the membrane down? Any good? Would save everywhere been littered with bricks and would save me carting bricks everywhere...

I use old bits of (fairly thick) wire, I suppose about 4' long with a foot at end bend at a right angle and pushed through the membrane.  Holds it down much better than I would have expected, and as you say bricks chucked on here & there is a mess and I still had corners flapping about in the wind etc. I'll take a photo and a more accurate measurement when I have a mo. but for me its used up a whole load of fencing wire that I thought could be reused - but the reality is that once kinked and roughly coiled back up its not easy to re-use it and get a good tension on it for fencing, so re-use as membrane-staples has worked well for me.

cadalot

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 07:09 »
I don't see the point in making holes and risking tears in the fabric, so soft sand filled milk bottle bricks and they have carrying handles to boot  :D
Soft Sand Filled Milk Bottle Bricks.jpg

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2015, 11:35 »
I don't see the point in making holes and risking tears in the fabric, so soft sand filled milk bottle bricks and they have carrying handles to boot  :D

Looks like a huge amount of work to me ... my wires are unlikely to tear the membrane, they push through the weave easily enough, but I take your point that they might.  I meant to take a photo over the weekend - forgot! sorry.  Must Try Harder!!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2015, 13:58 »
I've taken some photos :)

Two strips, anchored with wire, which have been down (and untouched) since Autumn.  We've had some decent wind in that time ...

I know its a bit rubbish by way of a comparison, but on the left is a strip with a few casual bricks on it.  The wind has mucked it about.  On the right a strip with some wire pegs in it.  Both untouched since Autumn.

Here's that same (left hand, in photo above) bed with a crop in it, last year:

edges a bit "pulled back" by the wind, letting some light get to the weeds.  The bricks can get in the way of the crop at times too ... I didn't find either to be a big issue though

and lastly the "wire pegs" - one inserted into the membrane, and one lying there on show.  About 2' long and an additional 9" prong at each end.

You are right, I did notice some tearing of the membrane when I pulled the one out "to show".  I didn't give it much thought when I put the pegs in; I'll let you know, over time, if that proves to be a problem (shortening the usable life of the membrane, for example)

There are some additional photos on my blog.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 14:00 by Kristen »

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2015, 20:09 »

Thanks Kristen - very helpful.

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2015, 18:23 »

I've done my staples slightly differently - like a hacksaw, hopefully the "handle" will help to anchor the membrane down, whilst the bar stops the fabric from lifting and the end helps to tension the fabric. It wasn't too windy today, but I could tell that after I'd used all the metal (that my farrier gave me) the fabric wasn't catching the wind. Fingers crossed! Only need a few coathangers to do around trees where thinner gauge is required to bend, and one line to finish off my soft fruit bed.
14032015549.jpg
14032015550.jpg
14032015551.jpg
14032015552.jpg

xx
New fork recommendations

Started by Plot94 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2020, 09:03
by jezza
xx
Summerhouse recommendations?

Started by ghost61 on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2015, 14:31
by ghost61
xx
6'x4' shed recommendations?

Started by andy_h on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 09:52
by Elswhere
xx
Greenhouse recommendations

Started by blue_cortina on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 21:34
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 29 queries.