Romanesco

• 17 Replies

silver8

• Experienced Member
Romanesco
« on: October 05, 2006, 22:11 »
Is anyone else growing this. Have never seen it or eaten before but its beginning to form heads and looking unusual and very attractive. Dont think its totally winter hardy but know very little about it

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Romanesco
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 22:16 »
Hi Silver8.

My last attempt at Romanescu weren't very succesful as I had my ground too loose and they didn't head up very well, but I have eaten them.  OH isn't overly keen on cauliflower, but he liked the Romanescu as they are a bit milder tasting, and because they look like little Christmas trees stuck together, children often like them!!!!

You lucky thing.  I must get some more seeds for next year!

silver8

• Experienced Member
Romanesco
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 22:20 »
Not even sure what it supposed to look like. Am I right that there should be alot of little heads like brocolli rather than one big head like a cauliflower?

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Romanesco
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 22:33 »
I always thought it was a cauliflower-type thing. I think I've seen it sold as cauli-heads in posh markets.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

GrannieAnnie

Romanesco
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 22:44 »
Looks more like cauli than broccoli.  Its very light green, and looks like a cone of little Christmas trees on top of each other.

I'll put a picture on the allotment album

silver8

• Experienced Member
Romanesco
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 22:53 »
Many thanks Annie and Heather. What ive got are fairly tall plants,with healthy leaves, and a small head developing in the middle. Worried that its too late to fully develop if its ends up the size of a cauli. Someone gave me the seeds and havenot given the plants a great deal of attention apart from the normal things - keeping the area weed free,slug protection etc. Hope it comes to something as never grown a posh crop before.

GrannieAnnie

Romanesco
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 23:03 »
You'll have to let us know how you get on with them Silver8!!!!  Good Luck!!!!

milkman

Romanesco
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 10:00 »
I think I'm growing them again this year but am never quite sure until I get the end result because I never label anything!  

I've got two ginormous plants (which have now blown over) which aren't purple sprouting, normal calabrese or purple cauliflower or brussels or normal cauliflower so I think they are Romanescos which are still thinking about whether to produce anything or not.

When I've grown Romanesco before they seemed to take well into the autumn to head up but objected strongly to nasty cold frosty weather, so my advice would be to cover them in fleece if a frost is forecast.  If you have anything resembling fist size I would harvest it 'cause I think the plants go on to produce mini-versions on side shoots.

From memory its the sort of veg that catches you by surprise - you give up keeping an eye on it because nothing is happening, then once in a blue moon you decide to check it and boom there it is ready to harvest!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
Romanesco
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 10:08 »
Mine got damaged by swede midge :( had to pull em up before they started heading :( Some pics would be nice of your harvest Silver8
Happy Gardening

hermon

Romanesco
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 10:12 »
i grew some but they looked nothing like what they should be i never got to eat any :cry: mucked up a bit with the old cabbage and cauliflowers this year didn't label so didn't know what was what! :?  the only thing tha thas been fantastic was my self seeding coriander!! :D

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
Romanesco
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 10:59 »
Like my purple sprouting, nothing on my romanesco developed, edible-wise; just lots of foliage. I haven't pulled them up, though; just left them to see if anything happens.

greenie

Romanesco
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 12:40 »
I have three of these plants left in the ground after the latest slugfest. This is my second attempt after slugs and little green pests destroyed the earlier summer ones. I haven't bothered with them for a couple of weeks due to the rain but they seem to be OK, so it'll be nice if they survive. I'd love to taste them.

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
Romanesco
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 20:56 »
came across this plant/veg for the first time at a farm shop whilst on holiday this last week!!  do you just cook it like a cauli?

GrannieAnnie

Romanesco
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 23:10 »
Yes Jenny, just like a cauliflower!  They are nice, well I like them, and so doe OH!

milkman

Romanesco
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 17:18 »
pic of mine is now in the album - have cut it for tonight's supper which is gonna be beef stew with lots of carrot in, potatoes (mashed or roasted, haven't quite decided yet) and my romanesco broccoli. yum.

xx
Romanesco

Started by ghost61 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 26, 2014, 22:18
by Under The Hill
xx
Romanesco help?

Started by A. Fallowfield on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 20:35
by mumofstig
xx
Romanesco

Started by Doc_D on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 09, 2013, 03:05
by ghost61
clip
Romanesco

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 09, 2018, 13:24
by Benny130

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 35 queries.