What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

Mark-S

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 18:56 »
put the onion sets back in the soil - just hope taht they will be ok.
fixed some gutering to the shed and plumbed into citrus container - water supply issues lessened.
dug and levelled the centarl path - lesson from last year is that  a level path is easier on the wheelbarow - and the babys pram!
had a coffee and thought to myself ''i have missed this!''
its nice to be important, but it more important to be nice......

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 09:54 »
I acquired a second plot in Dec that runs directly next to my existing plot, so yesterday I weeded it all, put some basic paths in and made the two plots into one lovely, continuous plot.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

Green man

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2011, 12:15 »
Well my Wife goes over morning and night to let put in the chickens,
She has got some weeds up but with all the mud it may be best to keep off it for a bit.
I'll start to go over when I'm a bit fitter as I've been poorly the last few months.
roll on spring.
It's better to be over the Hill than under it!!

MoreWhisky

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 15:40 »
Pulled the last of my leeks and dug up some parsnips. Then i stared at my Rudolph PSB ,which is meant to be the earliest, for a long time to will it on  :)
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 15:42 »
cut back the paths so i should get another row of spuds in burnt all the brambles and Christmas rubbish said hello to the rhubarb that has just woken up and generally tidied up the bins and compost heap and swept the shed and dug some leeks up for tonights dinner only have 6 out of 90 left  :(
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 15:44 by flitwickone »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 16:39 »
Finally got round to getting rid of the contents of last year's growbag and (donated) spent compost around the garden (the stuff used to grow tomatoes went on the roses rather than the veg plot!)

Also scattered the last of my supply of pure clay across the veg plot (this is yet another of my experiments based on the notion that there's only one soil type as problematic as very heavy clay and that's one with no clay at all!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 18:28 »
Dug in a bit more manure, until my boots became too heavy! :)

wendyg

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 22:33 »
Went to the plot to do some digging but it was too wet, took down the bean canes instead.  Then I scrapped the inch plus of mud off of my boots :tongue2:.   I hope the weather improves soon as I haven't finished the winter digging yet.

Wendy
1 Chicken House Blue, 1 Pied Suffolk, 1 Sussex, 1 Copper Black, 1 Cocker Spaniel, 1 border terrier x min. bull terrier, 1 Cat and an allotment.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2011, 22:37 »
Not finished winter digging? I haven't even started it.

To be honest the way the soil is I wouldn't even compemplate it. If it's sticking to your wellies like that, pound to a penny you're doing the soil structure no good.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2011, 22:44 »
I've only done half my digging I'm afraid,  the early snow caught me out.

I won't go on the land if it sticks to my boots as it would do more harm than good to the soil structure.

My land drains quickly though so there will be time later when it dries out a bit.

rubyrose

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2011, 23:04 »
I  have been lucky enough to change to another plot which is next to the one my O/H took on in October they are both just inside the gate which is the shortest distance we have to walk from home to lottys (which is about 300yards) my old one was right round the other side of allotment plots which took me at least 5 mins to walk (20 mins some days as have to stop and chat on way) and when I got there i could see my bungalow!!!!

But as the plot had been neglected since july I have lots of digging to do.
I am keeping my fingers crossed as I have just dug up asparagus and replanted in new bed, wrong time of year? but optamistic in that if i didn't move it,   no asparagus so at least a chance this way.

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2011, 11:52 »
Went down to assess the the damage after the snow. Not any that I could tell.  My Leeks seem to have survived and I dug up some Parsnips and Carrots. Someone has left a load of manure so I dragged some bags full of that back to my allotment.  Couldn't get it over the Rabbit Fence so it is just sitting outside my allotment for now :)  No digging, far too wet.

grendel

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2011, 12:00 »
beautiful day for the allotment and I am feeling too ill to go and do anything.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

fatcat1955

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2011, 12:02 »
Cut back a 100ft hawthorn hedge that had become neglected. Cut into by about 4ft back to the tree stumps and it cut into me by about 1inch. ended up in hospital for 3 hours while a very kind nurse cut the thorn out with a scalpel. Thank god for local anaesthetic. Thigh now looks a mess, taught me a lesson though. Respect the hawthorn.

Chicken Pete

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2011, 12:34 »
Like many of you I have just finished digging in manure that I spread last year. It looks good but the old problem has recurred i.e backache!!!!
Still that prepared the ground for my peas and puts me a little ahead.  The Garlic came through the snow and frost as did my winter onions so positive start to 2011.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 37 queries.