Extra Protein

• 11 Replies

Prod

Extra Protein
« on: January 22, 2014, 20:07 »
Hi  Some of you have read my post on Sudden Deaths which, after an autopsy, was thought to be a form of Mareks but later confirmed as Histomonas, more commonly found in turkeys.  My vet has been an absolute saint, it was her 'hunch' that lead to the diagnosis and my birds have just finished their final dosage of medication tonight.  The problem I now have is that some of the remaining birds are underweight for their ages and, although I am checking they have a full crop before they roost, (which they do)  the virus has stopped them putting on weight.  I have always given my birds a handful of corn about an hour before bedtime, one as a treat, and two  so they do have full crops overnight. I still give them all corn  but I don't want to increase that and I have tried them with cat food (by the way did you know that even the best cat or dog food is roughly 80% moisture?  I checked as I was going to buy an own brand and checked the label for the protein level on both the own brand and a much dearer 'leading brand' and they were almost identical for both cat & dog food)  anyway I digress, as usual. the only ones who liked the cat food were my older girls. Ive tried meal worms  but they don't like them either, I am just feeding the robins (which I don't mind really) SO>>>>  can anyone suggest anything else that will help them put weight on a bit faster?>  (god I've just read this back & I don't half waffle on ::)

ghost61

Re: Extra Protein
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 20:23 »
Yoghurt is quite good for protein, and my birds also go bonkers for bananas!

I hope your birds recover soon.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 20:44 »
I always gave ours a bit of poultryspice mixed in with their pellets when they had been under the weather.  That gives them a protein burst!

joolz68

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 21:07 »
Scrambled eggs is good source of  protien xx

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 09:24 »
Second the Poultry Spice. Be careful with yoghurt - I would only feed it, and then only the live stuff, to rebalance gut function. Iknow some people would not feed it at all as it is not a natural food for them and could upset their digestive system. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 09:52 »
How about adding a little malt extract (and cod liver oil if you want) to a mash - it will give them some extra carbohydrates as well as a few useful nutrients without taxing their already low state.  It will be more easily absorbed than grain such as corn, and be less effort to digest.  Only for a short term rather than regular.

Protein - best sources would be animal.  Wriggly earthworms get my chickens attention, so maybe try live mealworms?  And even woodlice disappear in a flash.  As mentioned, scrambled (or boiled) egg.  Occasionally I give my girls a treat of sardine/pilchards in tomato sauce ... but not too much as the fish has a higher salt content than others, but I suppose any boiled fish (the oily fish has the added benefits of essential fatty acids)  It probably wouldn't be a good idea to increase protein levels too much as this can be just as bad as too little.

Seed - hulled sunflower and pumpkin seed are high in protein and essential fatty acids but avoid the whole ones for the moment as these can deplete nutrients.  Hemp seed is another good high protein seed which is getting a lot of attention in poultry research

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 10:18 »
Hi  Some of you have read my post on Sudden Deaths which, after an autopsy, was thought to be a form of Mareks but later confirmed as Histomonas, more commonly found in turkeys.  My vet has been an absolute saint, it was her 'hunch' that lead to the diagnosis and my birds have just finished their final dosage of medication tonight.  The problem I now have is that some of the remaining birds are underweight for their ages and, although I am checking they have a full crop before they roost, (which they do)  the virus has stopped them putting on weight.  I have always given my birds a handful of corn about an hour before bedtime, one as a treat, and two  so they do have full crops overnight. I still give them all corn  but I don't want to increase that and I have tried them with cat food (by the way did you know that even the best cat or dog food is roughly 80% moisture?  I checked as I was going to buy an own brand and checked the label for the protein level on both the own brand and a much dearer 'leading brand' and they were almost identical for both cat & dog food)  anyway I digress, as usual. the only ones who liked the cat food were my older girls. Ive tried meal worms  but they don't like them either, I am just feeding the robins (which I don't mind really) SO>>>>  can anyone suggest anything else that will help them put weight on a bit faster?>  (god I've just read this back & I don't half waffle on ::)

Your hens do not like live mealworms ????? :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Prod

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 19:55 »
No   dried ones I had in for the wild birds, Robins love them.  My neighbour is a farmer and he gave me a 'shovel' (i.e. a tractor scoop)  or 2 of spare scaplings (this the tarmac they take up before putting down new) and dropped them over the fence onto my side.  The idea was to use it for a pathway to the gate but, things being as they have, I hadn't quite got round to it till today. You would not believe the number of earthworms in it. The more I shovelled up into the wheel barrow, the more I got  so I started putting them in a plastic tub, rinsed them off a bit and my god I have never seen chickens move as fast!!!!  About 30 or more were gone in seconds!!! Even the 2 little call ducks were in there fighting to get them.  I ve still got a mound of scalpings to go so I will carry on with the worms.  But thanks for the advice.

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 21:20 »
I used to take one hen at a time with me while digging the veg patch and they would normally manage half a dozen large lobworms before losing interest and wandering off to eat something i `d rather they`d not eat. :D

Glad you have the protein supplement sorted.

It would be a brave Robin that gets in the way when live mealworms are on the menu ! :)

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 08:38 »
Re you're chooks not eating the dried mealworms, it just maybe that they are not sure to start with as they do not wriggle. It may pay to keep trying them. I think once they have tried them they will fight for them! :)

SL

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 18:42 »
I can't believe your girls don't like dried mealworms! Mine go crazy as soon as I get the pot out with them in!
As for high protein foods - mine absolutely love tuna and their favourite treat of all is seafood sticks  :)

Prod

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 19:23 »
Well   I don't think I will ever fully understand chickens even though I love keeping them, despite the bad year I have had.  I have been on the field most of the day but my partner has now started calling me Shrek as it is getting like a swamp. I have had to put strips of pallet wood down just to get from one end to the other.  But talking about what they eat  I said to my partner today that I have been in & out of the shed all day doing bits and pieces but as soon as I started to cut an apple for them, they came running. How they know that I am cutting an apple I really don't know  but they do!!!  I love sitting and just watching them, they have their own little characteristics and routines. Despite giving them fresh water every day they prefer the 'swamp' water. I have a pair of apricot call ducks and they are the funniest.  The duck, Bunty, is definitely the boss and they are never far away from each other. When they are Bunty stands, raises he neck and calls, and calls  till Sprogget comes running. I am re fencing an area so it has left holes where the posts have been and they put their heads and half their bodies in, its really funny to watch........god I've waffled on again.... ::) ::) ::)

xx
protein

Started by bloodhound on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 11, 2009, 17:51
by Molly Hen
xx
is it protein deficency

Started by dalesman on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 20:22
by azubah
xx
Protein and Chickens.

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 02, 2007, 23:19
by muntjac
xx
Feed composition - protein, fat, etc

Started by cammi on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 13:21
by arugula

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 28 queries.