Canadian and northern U.S recipes wanted

• 12 Replies

muddifoot

• Experienced Member
« on: July 08, 2008, 17:50 »
I see there are a few canadian members on here and I was wondering if perhaps you have the recipes for chocolate chip date cake and oatmeal raisin  cake-. not as healthy as carrots and brussel sprouts but out of this world cakes.        lots of candian friends in northern wisconsin (paper mill people)  and let me tell the world they are fantasic bakers.

Alex 98

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 19:46 »
Looking forward to sampling!

Maple syrup inc please!

Alex 98
Alfie's Grandad

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 15:28 »
Don't like dates so can't help you with the first recipe, but here's a corker for oatmeal-raisin cake. It disappears too quickly.

Blend 1 cup of quick oats with 1-1/2 cups boiling water, stir, let cool to lukewarm.

Blend 1/2 cup soft butter or marg with 2 cups brown sugar until crumbly.
Add 2 eggs, blend, then add the cooled oatmeal. Add desired amount of raisins but don't stir in yet. (can use chopped, peeled apples instead)
Blend 1-1/3 cups AP flour with 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cloves and pinch of salt. Add to the wet mix and blend.
Spray a rectangular baking dish, add cake mix and bake 350 deg. for about 40 minutes.

While cake bakes, prepare topping:
6 tbsp melted butter or marg, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup ground nuts (walnuts or pecans are good), 1/4 cup cream, 1/2 tsp vanilla. Stir well.

Soon as cake is baked, remove from oven, turn on broiler.
Spread topping over cake then place under broiler. Keep an eye on it as it'll burn quickly. Let topping bubble and brown slightly. Remove when done and let cool.

One day I forgot to watch the broiler and the topping burned somewhat. Oddly enough, everyone loved the burned bits best. Go figure.
You can use white sugar in this recipe but its not nearly as nice or moist as brown sugar makes it.

muddifoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 17:53 »
thank you trilli- that sounds exactly as I remember it - I shall bake it and the Smiths will sample and let you know how it is.  thanks again for sharing this recipe-

muddi

Alex 98

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 19:02 »
bring it on.............................

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 00:37 »
Okay, another one, this time a bar recipe. I usually double this to make enough so I can eventually get a piece.

Oatmeal Raisin Bars:

In a pot on medium heat, cook 2 cups raisins (I use sultanas), 2-3 cups applesauce and 1 tbsp cornstarch. Cook until hot and slightly thick, but watch it doesn't burn. Take off heat.

Crust and topping: In a bowl blend together 1-1/2 cups flour, 1-1/2 cups quick cook oats, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon.
Take out 1/3 to 1/2 to use as topping and set aside.
To remaining dry mix, add 2 beaten eggs, and blend well. Dough will be dryish and stiff.

Spread the egg-mix dough on an ungreased cooky sheet (10x14" if doing a single recipe). If sheet is a thinner quality, double it up to avoid crust burn. Dough should be about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick or so. An icing spatula does a good spreading job.
Spread the warm raisin-applesauce mix over the top evenly, then top with the dry crumbles you set aside.
Bake at 350 degrees F for about 25-35 minutes. Should be lightly golden when done. Cool somewhat and cut into slices before it gets cold. Let cool completely. Store bars in a lidded tin.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 00:45 »
No oatmeal in this one but its good and fast. You can double the quantity but don't bake it in one dish - centre never cooks, so use 2 pans. The recipe somewhat resembles buttertarts, but in a squares form.

Dream Bars:

Base: Blend 1 cup AP flour, 1/2 cup soft butter or marg, 1/2 cup brown sugar. Crumble together (or use a mixer). Pat into an 8" square pan. Bake 350F for 10 min then remove.

Top: prepare while base is partly cooking.
Blend 1 cup brown sugar, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup water, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp flour, 1 cup unsweetened coconut, 1/2 cup raisins

Spread topping evenly over base, return to oven and bake another 20-25 minutes. Top should be light brownish. Cool, cut into squares.

muddifoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 08:09 »
thank you Trilli-  I shall have a go tomorow and take some to the plot this weekend for a few friends to sample.  Will get back to you on the results-  must get a few things from the shops as I  am quite famous for starting a recipe the discovering I'm one ingrediant short.   :D

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 08:14 »
can you buy applesauce in the uk?  what i mean is - is it the kind of applesauce that you'd buy in a jar to serve with pork?

Bignij

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 08:29 »
Dumb question from a dumb miner.
What's AP flour? :?:

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 08:34 »
All Purpose - which i believe is plain flour.

Bignij

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 08:47 »
Quote from: "jennyb"
All Purpose - which i believe is plain flour.

Ta! :)

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 15:13 »
Quote from: "jennyb"
can you buy applesauce in the uk?  what i mean is - is it the kind of applesauce that you'd buy in a jar to serve with pork?

Yes, it is. But we bottle our own applesauce, by the litre because we like it so much and have access to a lot of apples that are good for that particular form. By bottling your own, you can also adjust sugar levels. Personally, I find store sauce a bit too sweet and finely pureed, almost like baby food. Our sauce is a bit 'meatier' and stronger tasting, like real apples  :wink:

xx
Elder cordial recipes wanted

Started by EzLou on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2007, 16:06
by EzLou
xx
Christmassy Chutney and Preserve Recipes wanted

Started by amandaandherveg on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 13:34
by chrissie B
xx
Recipes wanted.. Garlic Sauce and Raspberry syrup

Started by gavinjconway on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post December 16, 2011, 12:51
by gavinjconway
xx
Recipe wanted

Started by MisterPlough on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post March 20, 2007, 22:01
by WG.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 38 queries.