Poor chook died...please help diagnose

• 9 Replies

jamest10

Poor chook died...please help diagnose
« on: February 02, 2011, 17:50 »
Hi there

First time chicken owner. Had three free range chickens for about a year with no problems.

I went to check for eggs this morning and one of the chickens was in the house, looking really lethargic and generally poorly. She was sitting on the perch, with her feathers down and struggling to keep her eyes open. Also she was really struggling to breath. She would straighten her neck and open her beak and stick the tongue out for every breath. Her comb was also going a shade of purple.
There was a little bit of diarrhoea which was white/yellow/greeny.

Initially I googled the symptoms and thought she had had a problem with her crop so I gently massaged it, but didn't seem to make a difference.

I filled up a box with hay and placed her in it and drove to the farm I purchased her from. On the way, unfortunately, she sounded like she was in so much pain and had a fit and was knocking around the box for 20-30 seconds, then stopped. When I arrived she had passed and was on her back not breathing. No one could really help me as they weren't trained vets (or seem to know much about chickens to give me a proper insight as to what could've cause this).
They said she looked really healthy (apart from the comb) her back passage looked clean and therefore said they didn't know what happened.

I have looked on the net and thought it could be a respiratory disease or gapeworm, but these seem to be relatively treatable and haven't read of anyone talking about these sysmptoms and five hours later the hen is dead.

Any help would be really appreciated.
If it help's I think she may not have layed for 3 days.

Thanks in advance people

PaulineM

Re: Poor chook died...please help diagnose
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 18:29 »
Hi
I am relatively new to keeping chooks so I can't help diagnose the illness but what age was your girl  :(
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 18:32 »
The purple comb sounds a bit like heart problems, blue lips being a similar sign in humans.

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 18:43 »
I'm so sorry to hear about your hen  :( 
It sounds as if she could have had a respiratory infection, in which case you need to keep an eye on your other chooks.  I'm not very experienced and I'm sure someone with more experience will be along shortly to advise you.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

jamest10

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 19:53 »
Only a year old.

Unfortunately when I arrived at the farm they couldn't help diagnose the cause of death (unsurprisingly). There's a vet's clinic round the corner from them, but I can't really justify the £60 for a post-mortem.

They did however say that she looked very healthy (pardon the irony) and sometimes these anomalies happen...it's just nature.

I did however receive a call from a vet I called earlier in the day (somewhat irrelevant now) and described the symptoms. He seems to think it was Egg Peritonitis, which usually ends in fatality.
Very sad, but these things happen and at least she's not in pain anymore.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 16:24 »
I'm sorry to hear about your girl, I would say it was more to do with the heart with the comb colour, egg peritonitus is treatable as one of my hens is just getting over it after 10 days of anti biotics, also she would of had messy vent area, don't beat yourself up about it, sounds like she had a great life.x

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 20:34 »
Don't feel bad. Chooks have a bad habit of up and dying without much warning. I had to cull one a couple of years ago who went into heart failure - and I think your girl may have had the same. Blue/purple comb and shortness of breath. NOthing you could have done to predict or prevent this.

3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 08:09 »
Hi there

I know how upsetting it is when you loose your chooks.  I only had mine a few weeks and lost one.  It really surprised me how fast they go down hill,  hope it doesn't put you off.   

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 08:24 »
Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about your hen  :(
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

Jeanette

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 11:41 »
I am so sorry to hear about your girl. Chickens are very good at hiding there symptons when they are ill (survival of the fittest)  so dont feel to bad about it. Being as she had a  blue/purple comb and had trouble breathing i would say she had a heart attack, it has happened to a couple of my girls and there is nothing you could do.

xx
14wk chook died

Started by TashaH on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post December 31, 2015, 09:17
by Sassy
xx
Has my poor hen died of shock or disease?

Started by Cal. on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 26, 2020, 11:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
poor poor tweety --- incubators suck

Started by babe on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 18:25
by Midwife
xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 38 queries.