More of a pet SHOP question

• 11 Replies

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
More of a pet SHOP question
« on: December 13, 2010, 13:15 »
Hiya,

We went in to our local pet shop to pick up some more fat balls and bird seed and whilst we were there had a quick look at the baby bunnies and kittens (I'm a sucker for small and furry i am afraid) I noticed that two of the rabbits were mating and pointed this out to the shop keeper he replied that someone would 'get a suprise when they got their new rabbit home then won't they' and walked off! :wacko: I was rather suprised and thought it was totally irresponsible.

Is there anyone i can report this to, are pet shops goverened by anyone are there regulating bodies. I would be pretty upset if i bought a rabbit and a few weeks later ended up aith a litter of baby rabbits! And i thought the shop owners response was pretty poor.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/replies.

Kate
Always thankful for advice!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: More of a pet SHOP question
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 13:20 »
have a word with Scabs - he might know the rules regarding this. I do know that pet shops have to be inspected by the RSPCA just to make sure they are keeping the livestock in the correct way so you could also try having a word with the local branch. When my eldest was about 10 he wanted a pet rat (we got him a lovely white one and called her sybil - too much fawlty towers watched in our house) and instead of just one we ended up with another 8 - luckily the pet shop took the babies back.
Staffies are softer than you think.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 13:29 »
BOGOF. Buy one get others free! :)

When they are of breeding age the sexes should be kept separate but they may have been in a single sex group already.
Randy buck rabbits are not choosy. ;)

mashauk

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 15:23 »
I'd never buy an animal from a pet shop, I'm currently fostering 2 cats for the RSPCA, but there are loads of shelters with thousands of animals for rehoming, including rabbits!

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 21:36 »
Maybe they were the same sex and just practicing ;)  and thats why he wasnt worried??
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 12:59 »
When you keep same sex animals together and this includes females, they will mimic mating this is a dominance thing and perfectly normal! I took my mice back thinking I was going to have lots of babies but they were both female!

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 19:05 »
It is sometimes difficult to keep the sexes apart due to space and what have you (and you'd be surprised how high a buck will jump to get into a pen full of sexy ladies...)

I have the same problem myself from time to time and although the guy's attitude may have been a bit offhand, I can understand why... We also happily take in the unwanted offspring, should it happen. I understand I may not be making myself particularly popular here.  :tongue2:

The RSPCA does not seem to be overly concerned with the odd mixed-sex cage (we were inspected a little while ago) as long as the animals are well cared for, healthy and happy. There's probably a bit of legislation somewhere though.

Personally, I'd be quite happy to get a rabbit home only to find out I'd actually got several! That's just me though and I can see why others might not be amused.

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 08:34 »
Many, many moons ago, I bought my (then) young son a pet rat.  2 days later she had 3 babies!   :ohmy: I went back to the pet shop just to tell them, not to complain, the response was 'we won't charge you for those ones'!  They did offer to buy the young from us once old enough but we ended up keeping them - in different cages I hasten to add! 

Could it be that the rabbit was just showing dominance and not actually mating???  :blush: OK, I'm naive sometimes......  ::)  ::)  ::)
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

CluelessCarrot

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 16:57 »
In my experience, same-sexed animals such as rabbits and guinea pigs use this behaviour as a dominance thing
Online! On digital! And on the edge of a tantrum!

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 16:55 »
It is sometimes difficult to keep the sexes apart due to space and what have you (and you'd be surprised how high a buck will jump to get into a pen full of sexy ladies...)

I have the same problem myself from time to time

I DO hope the 2nd para is not too closely related to the first.....
ManicMum

TheSpartacat

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 21:48 »

I have the same problem myself from time to time

I DO hope the 2nd para is not too closely related to the first.....

i was thinking the same thing!! How high a wall would he jump? And that his honesty was interesting? LOL

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 16:16 »
Heh heh heh...

xx
Sorry, another Bee question

Started by splash101 on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post November 04, 2014, 10:11
by Kevin67
xx
Dog food question

Started by elibump on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post January 09, 2011, 16:16
by Elaine J
xx
Bee Keeping question please help

Started by fallen angel on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 21:01
by spottymint
xx
A fishy question

Started by Paul Plots on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post October 04, 2011, 00:08
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 38 queries.