New half plot

• 8 Replies

Audy70

New half plot
« on: July 04, 2014, 15:55 »
I've been working my half plot since August last year and must admit that I'm addicted, so had my eye on the other half plot next to mine. Unfortunately, it was taken over a few months ago and I thought that was it but the new tenants couldn't cope and it got overgrown, so it's now mine. Yippie!

I'm a bit scared but looking forward to growing more of what I've grown this year and trying some new things next season. Unfortunately, I'm off for 4 weeks from the end of July, so the plan is to strim and cover and maybe, see if I can get anything in that I can leave for the 2 weeks that neither me nor the OH will be around to tend.

Snoop

Re: New half plot
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 09:05 »
Congratulations on getting the other half plot. Hope you have fun.

What are you proposing to plant? I'm always looking for ideas for plants that don't need constant watering.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 09:21 »
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on a whole plot.  I did the same as you and never regretted it, its a good idea to start small and grow rather than take on something that you can't cope with.

Could you put some potatoes in for a late crop?  I see the seed catalogues are selling them to harvest for Christmas. Depends on how early your frosts are where you live, I suppose.
Anne

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 09:30 »
I've heard a lot about people trying to grow spuds for Christmas. Not heard about that many who were successful.
I'd take a look in your local garden centre to see what plants they had available - see if there were any you fancied.

Good luck with the new half,

Cheers,
Balders

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 11:53 »
the only thing i really think of that needs no maintenance for 2 weeks would be french beans. not sure they would germinate and be strong enough to plant out and strong enough roots to with stand no watering.

as hard as it is to leave ground with nothing growing but might be worth strimming and cover the whole lot with a thick tarp or similar. at least it will be easier to work with when you get back of hols.

i left my garden/ patch for 2 weeks in may/ june, i did have people watering everyday. the weeds and un controlled growth was crazy took another 2 weeks to get any where near under control again.

Audy70

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 12:50 »
Thanks all, if I had a greenhouse, I might try the Christmas spuds, but no such luck. It might be best to just cover until I get back, maybe spend sometime planning what to do when I return, so I can hit the ground running or digging in my case  :D

crh75

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 10:43 »
If you have time to clear small patches you could direct sow sweetcorn and courgettes.  You might just have time for a crop before the frosts.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 11:31 »
Don't be scared about it all, Audy - it can seem daunting but the main point is to keep enjoying yourself and take it slowly. If you can clear a space, advice on here says go to your garden centre and get some easy veg plants like beans, leeks, courgettes, whatever you want to grow. Give your cleared space a good watering as often as you can (unless you have rain before you plant), give the plants a good watering-in with a dilute liquid feed like Miracle Grow, then you could always mulch around them with newspaper, cardboard or wetted shredded paper (so it doesn't blow all over the place) then they shouldn't dry out if you get no rain while you are away.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Audy70

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 13:26 »
Thanks crh75 and Goosegirl, I'll keep collecting those free newspapers :lol:

xx
new half plot!!!

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 16:36
by peapod
xx
New half-plot

Started by borderer1951 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2020, 11:56
by Yorkie
xx
Taking on new half plot

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 04, 2016, 21:19
by chillimummy
xx
Quantities on a half plot?

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 22:19
by Bombers

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 39 queries.