allotment fire

• 14 Replies

rowlandwells

allotment fire
« on: November 11, 2021, 16:42 »
 we went to my Daughters allotment on Sunday to clear up and burn all the rubbish that had been collected through the summer months because  we are only aloud to burn rubbish on that allotments once a year in November

so I started the fire now this allotments is surrounded by residential houses quite posh properties so its important not to let the smoke encroach on those houses so the fire's lit the smokes going away from the properties its all good

THEN  the wind changed and OHMY [ :ohmy:] and the smoke is heading in the direction of the houses and when i say smoke it was smoke but before i could sort the fir out I had a very unhappy man :mad: come walking up the allotment path and told me to put the fire out as it was smoking out the houses I apologised for the smoke and put the fire out forthwith

he then informed me he was the allotment secretary who lived across the road in one of the properties and was getting smoked out so I held my hands up to lighting the fire not intending to smoke the properties I  was not happy with his attitude towards this matter as I had apologised for this happing but as it was my Daughters allotment I had to bite my tongue  I  explained to him that because of the location of the allotment it was not acceptable for anyone to burn any garden rubbish at any time and low and behold he agreed with me and  said that the committee had already endorsed the banning of fires on the allotment next year so he would recommend to the allotment committee that a total ban be enforced for next year

so at least we both agreed on something and to completely ban fires  makes it fair for all and no arguments so watch this space ;)

snowdrops

Re: allotment fire
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 16:48 »
Our parish council has just issued an edict that no compostable waste is to be burned from now on. Plus we are only allowed bonfires on Tuesdays & thursdays from 9-3 but that has been like that for quite a few years. They do provide a skip most April’s, I think they might need a bigger one at this rate, but then no compost able matter is allowed in the skip
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 17:01 »
We're surrounded by houses now,  as well. We weren't but then the council built houses all around us so now we have new rules and can't have fires  >:(
The trouble is that the council contractors only cut the top and the outside of the beech hedges, and tenants have to cut the insides, themselves. How are they supposed to get rid of the branches, if they can't burn them? No skips provided here. Makes me soo cross :mad:

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 17:57 »
We're not allowed bonfires during the summer, but between the beginning of November until the end of March. This is insane, because at this time of the year anything that needs to be burned, such as diseased plants etc is often damp and creates smoke which is unpleasant for those living nearby and also, of course, is bad for the environment.  If we could burn in the summer at limited periods, the material is bone dry and can be disposed of in around ten minutes.  Not everything is compostable.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 12:27 »
A good shredder would be useful if you had an electricity supply there.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 12:48 »
I think that good idea using  a shredder it could be the answer to non burning but it would have to be a commercial type splitter some thing like the tree surgeons use and  i think it could  be less costly to hire than  skips and we could re-use it on the pathways anyway its worth looking into Il put that to those concerned

PS It would need to be fuel driven as there's no electric on this allotment  :D

jezza

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 07:43 »
Hello I hire a heavy duty domestic shippeshredder r for £45 first day £25 a day after that or or £90 Friday 3pm to Monday 9am it takes 3 inch through the chipper unit,as for burning unless the laws changed pernicious weeds and notifiable diseases have to be destroyed by burning,we had 3000 rose bushes recently got fire blight at a nursery ,a 12 foot by 8 foot hole was dug 4 feet deep  4 bales of straw went in then the Rose's and pots laid on top another layer of straw a gallon of diesel  and a match  it was allowed to  burn for  4 hours  then quick lined and the hole filled in   jezza

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 10:05 »
Hello I hire a heavy duty domestic shippeshredder r for £45 first day £25 a day after that or or £90 Friday 3pm to Monday 9am it takes 3 inch through the chipper unit,as for burning unless the laws changed pernicious weeds and notifiable diseases have to be destroyed by burning,we had 3000 rose bushes recently got fire blight at a nursery ,a 12 foot by 8 foot hole was dug 4 feet deep  4 bales of straw went in then the Rose's and pots laid on top another layer of straw a gallon of diesel  and a match  it was allowed to  burn for  4 hours  then quick lined and the hole filled in   jezza

What were the pots made of?

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 12:34 »
that's well worth mentioning Jezza never thought of pernicious weeds and notifiable diseases  that have to be destroyed by burning so it looks like it mite be a better option to get the allotment waste taken to the re-cycle centre?

Christine

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2021, 14:55 »
Yeah and the pernicious weeds go for green recycling in many places so you get them back if you buy the wrong compost.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2021, 15:25 »
Do you have community/municipal composting over there? A option to burning could be collecting the waste (no building materials or trash) and sending it to off-site composting.

Here, the city comes by once every 2 months to collect all types of leaf and limb waste, going to composting.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2021, 19:57 »
Yeah and the pernicious weeds go for green recycling in many places so you get them back if you buy the wrong compost.

If municipal compost, the facility producing it should be able to show data on composting temperature/ duration.  I've never had weed or disease problems with municipal compost, been using it for more than 10 years.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2021, 20:07 »
Here in the UK, there was an awful lot of damage from Aminopyralid, a herbicide, which was still present in commercial composts made from garden waste collection sites. Many people including me are still very wary of buying anything that includes 'green waste materials'.

rowlandwells

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2021, 17:57 »
that's very true Mum I'm of the same opinion as you I avoid any any compost's made from garden waste its just not worth the risk

and its going to be most important the check just what compost's we are buying next year not to get hood winked into believing that  re-cycled compost made from garden waste is worth buying not for me I'm afraid

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2021, 01:18 »
Sorry to hear that municipal composting had so many problems over there.  Our local compost facility's only problem is selling so much compost that the supply sometimes runs short. They have a regimen of rigorous quality testing. Landscapers and gardeners love the stuff.

xx
First fire...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

19 Replies
Last post September 27, 2018, 13:10
by Goosegirl
xx
Fire up the Quattro...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post November 01, 2020, 06:00
by Growster...
xx
Fire stick

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post February 03, 2021, 12:39
by mrs bouquet
xx
'Ring of Fire' - Annular Solar Eclipse

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2023, 16:55
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 54 queries.