My first egg!

• 12 Replies

alancane

• Experienced Member
My first egg!
« on: September 04, 2010, 19:10 »
This morning when I went to open the coop door I looked inside the coop and there was our first egg. After having them just under three weeks (Now approx 21 weeks old) they delivered their first surprise.

The egg was quite small (the one on the right against a normal medium sized egg), but considering it's their first, I am very pleased. I don't know who out of the three that laid it as it was there at 6.30am and I heard no noise from them.

Unfortunately, it was in the coop, because at night I am having to block off the nest as they go in there to sleep and still won't fully perch. I took away the barrier one night after they had been perching and at midnight, they were back in the nest sleeping.

Hopefully more eggs to follow and larger ones to follow! Thought I would share this with you.  :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:
Alan

evie2

Re: My first egg!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 19:15 »
In my experience they start small and get bigger :) now all you have to do is decide how to have your egg :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 20:14 »
It's alrwady been eaten as part of a batter for a pasta dish... yum yum!

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 08:56 »
congrats on your first egg, theres nothing better than collecting your own eggs, i still look forward to collecting the eggs.   For your next egg, have it poached on some lovely toast, omg its to absoutely die for.    Nickyxxx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

NormandyMary

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 18:26 »
Needless to say Alan, Im jealous. I got all eggcited this morning when I opened the henhouse as they had made a huge nest on the floor with straw, so I thought they wanted to lay. NO luck though as yet, but Im ever the optimist! I bought 2 dozen from the supermarket yesterday, so Im okay for a few more days. If I get nothing by then, Ill be on to the breeder for a refund as they were obviously NOT POL!

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 19:23 »
Oh Mary.... I am sure they will lay soon, if not can they dance?
I got another very small egg today, it was right in the middle of the run next to the water.... they haven't touched the nest boxes yet, only to try and sleep in  lol

Funny that they haven't made a noise yet when they lay.... thought they might so I know!

evie2

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 19:55 »
It'll be worth the wait Mary :) it took ages for mine to lay and one still hasn't >:(

As for telling me when it's happened if I had to wait for them to let me know; I'd still be waiting ::)

Am I the only one with silent chickens?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 10:28 by evie2 »

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 21:40 »
hehe! It is hunt the egg in the coop or the run.... can be anywhere! And not on a nest either, the dirty ladies!

jertzee

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 13:56 »
Congrats!  I hope they all settle down and soon you'll have eggs  galore.

Beano

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 15:23 »
Congrats. It's so exciting when you get that first egg. As a matter of fact I still get excited whenever there's an egg.
Pearl layed her first (green) egg on the 25th of August on the coop floor because the older hens sleep in the nest boxes. But every other egg has been in a nest box. She had never been in the nest boxes before and none of the others (including the older hens) are laying at the moment. How did she know where to go? She's such a clever girl. Hope Amber starts soon.
El.

NormandyMary

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 16:07 »
...........still waiting............ :wub:

Fisherman

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 16:09 »
It'll be worth the wait Mary :) it took ages for mine to lay and one still hasn't >:(

As for telling me when it's happened if I had to wait for them to let me know; I'd still be waiting ::)

Am I the only one with silent chickens?

Can't wait for the party when one of NormandyMary's chickens lays it's first egg, in the eggcup of course.

I have silent chickens, not a peep when they lay. I don't even know which chicken is top of the pecking order allthough I do know who's at the bottom.

It takes a few months for the chickens to produce standard sized eggs on a consistant basis. They seem to be confused in the early stages producing all sorts of egg sizes, shell colours, double yolks, soft shells etc. One of my chickens laid a huge egg that made me cringe to the extent I checked they were all still walking normally :ohmy:

orchardlady

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 22:27 »
Congratulations on receiving your very first egg. I can still remember how delighted we were when we found our first egg from my first girls over 15 years ago. I feed my girls in the afternoon and do any chickenie  chores and the last (but best still) task is to collect the eggs. As I have a mixed flock I love to see the wonderful variety. Blue, brown, cream, speckled, long, small, dark green etc etc. It is still my highlight if the day after all these years.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 38 queries.