Broken Fork!!! Help please!!

• 16 Replies

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
Broken Fork!!! Help please!!
« on: January 26, 2010, 18:45 »

"Tragedy, when your fork is gone and you can't go on, its tragedy.....etc.

For forks sake - I was digging yesterday, and my ash-handled, top of the range, dogs Bs fork snapped clean off, just where the stainless steel shaft meets the tines!!!
To say I was miffed is an understatement, I loved that fork, my fave allotment implement, and the ground wasn't even frozen...!

Anyway, looking round for a replacement, I was wondering two things:

1. As I've only had it two years, might I be able to get somewhere with contacting its makers - after all, s/s shouldn't break, and often, these things have 10yr or lifetime guarantees. Trouble is, it has few distinguishing features, and I can't remember where I got it from!!

Its ash-handled, with a "T" top, rather than a "D", and stainless down below. The stainless shank has a "crown-like" symbol on it, like three triangles on top of a rectangle...but I can't seem to match this up to any of the toolmakers commonly seen, like Spear and Jackson, Draper, Wilkinson Sword, Sneeboer or others. Can anyone help?

and

2. Can anyone recommend a longish handled, stainless steel fork? Quite like the W/S, and also the Draper...but I'm tall, so need quite a long one to save my back.

Using a £6-er at present, but want to get a better one soon for the season!!

Thanks!!

Phill  :(

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Broken Fork!!! Help please!!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 18:51 »
That logo you describe is bugging me a bit, I'll think and get back to you if I think of anything useful and no-one else has come back on it .  ::) Meanwhile, Bulldog Tools are not bad.....
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 19:12 »
If you are looking for a strong fork do not go for stainless steel. On fishing forums everybody would like a s/s fork for digging sea bait but none of them are up to the job. The combination of a long handle (a lever) and tall person leaning on it will put the same stresses on as digging in wet sand with the same result.
Go for a good quality steel fork instead.

On a positive note you now have a nice stainless ended dibber. :)

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 19:24 »

Thanks for the first two comments, I'll have a look at the logo and see if I can upload a photo...or maybe draw it...and also the tip on steel forks...

Logo pretty much like this:

/\/\/\
|_\/_|

Haha on the dibber - yep, thought that, am having the top 8" for a leek special!!

Phill :)

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 18:03 »

For our Autumn/Winter work I have been using a Wilkinson Sword Lifetime Power Digging Fork....it came from a Wyevale garden centre.
They were available late last Summer as a border fork or a full size digging fork...also one was specified with a slightly longer handle..which is the one I went for..in full size.  They are a Boron Steel fork..not stainless...but should soon polish up in use and a clean down after use.

My colleague has run a previous version of same for at least 10 years now and it has stood up to it well....sensible but regular everyday professional use....(for ref work is at a large country house garden).

The forks are a diamond back tine, which we like, just like a potato digging fork rather than a square tine...

I have struggled to find a link to show the fork...but one version is on this link
 http://www.capitalgardens.co.uk/v3/lifetime-power-digging-fork-601572w-p-19926.html

I am not sure if it is the longer shaft version shown or not and I post it just for reference...you would need to enquire further...

"Dori"

ex-cavator

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 19:02 »
If you are looking for a strong fork do not go for stainless steel. On fishing forums everybody would like a s/s fork for digging sea bait but none of them are up to the job. The combination of a long handle (a lever) and tall person leaning on it will put the same stresses on as digging in wet sand with the same result.
Go for a good quality steel fork instead.

On a positive note you now have a nice stainless ended dibber. :)

I second that! My other hobby is digging antique bottles, and if I had a £1 for every broken S/S fork I've come across left on bottle dumps ....  :tongue2: They're too brittle. Wouldn't touch them. Sure, they look good, but a fork is a workhorse, not an ornament  (but I'm sorry yours is broken, and I hope you get it sorted) 8)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 19:12 by ex-cavator »

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 19:43 »
I got Joseph Bentley fork snapped the handle and they guy in the shop said they had never had this before and changed it with no problems what so ever.  Other than that its been a good fork it was due to miss use that it broke really i guess. They have a 25yr guarantee so they should be good enough to last.
Thanks
Kris

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 21:01 »

Thanks again for all of the advice - I'll probably go for a forged one then - do love the s/s finish, but perhaps not up to the job on my clay soil?

I've tried Joseph Bentley and the WS (Fiskars) Power fork...liked 'em both, just need to be sure I get the longer one...

Phill :)

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 21:07 »
I can attest to the durability of the forged steel forks. This past summer I bent the same tine twice, quite badly, hitting or rooting out rocks. The tine didn't break and my OH was able to straighten it on the vice. Not sure it's up for a third bend, but you never know. Like any tool, some care is needed in what and how you use it.

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 21:12 »

Trilliuim, thanks for the note, I almost feel told off!!

Was behaving, honest, though I was trying to lift out a rhubarb crown (a big one!) when I snapped it!! No problem with bent tines so far though....

Will off and buy (hope its warmer in Canada now!!)

Phill :) :)

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 01:36 »
Sadly, our temps are dropping now that we're getting into true winter over here. Brrrr. Digging out rhubarb roots is a real hassle, one not done with a fork, nor even a spade unless you've dug all around it very thoroughly first. Been there, done that. I can already picture the fulcrum disparity for you, a tall person, and this would really put a lot of excessive pressure on a handle or tines.

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 07:34 »
I use an old navvies fork which my dad tells me used to belong to my grandad when he was "Digging For Victory" so it must be at least 70 years old, and still going strong. Have you thought of looking for a replacement at a car boot sale?

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 08:17 »

Loubs - great idea, you can't beat the old stuff, I shall scour the boot sales for a bargain but everlasting fork!!

Phill :) :) :)

griff

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 15:17 »
http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w337/millgriff/home26008.jpg[/img]]
the old two tyne fork are just great for winter digging especially on this heavy clay. Would be lost with out them.

Trillium

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 15:47 »
griff, what is the rectangular one on the left? I've never seen one before.

xx
New fork

Started by Plot94 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post October 21, 2019, 19:13
by jezza
xx
Fork

Started by Flump on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post November 19, 2012, 16:16
by arugula
xx
which fork to buy

Started by toodoo9011 on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2016, 15:49
by snow white
xx
fork tines

Started by 2peasinapod on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 21:47
by 2peasinapod

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 36 queries.