Brand new allotment

• 10 Replies

st0ne5ish

Brand new allotment
« on: September 28, 2010, 21:01 »
Hi,

I've just signed up and received a half plot (125 sq m), it's a brand new allotment site in a farmers field, it's been fenced, water taps provided and each plot has been pegged out. The plots (25) are in two rows with a central path running down the middle where the water taps are. There is no storage though and no sheds, I think there might be the possibility of a job lot order from a local supplier but it's not confirmed.

I went to visit it today and the plot looks massive  :ohmy: , at the moment it's just bear finely ploughed earth no grass paths are present. I'm not exactly sure where to start, one person has already marked out each bed and path in their plot with rope and pegs.

The soil looks OK, PH is about neutral, I think the soil is slightly clay but not heavy, you can roll it up in your fingers and it just about stays together.

I can get hold of some well rotted manure for free as there are lots of stables around but the plot looks so large it would take a lot to cover and dig it all.

So I guess my tasks for now are to:

- Measure the dimensions and draw a bed/path plan on paper
- Mark out the plan on the plot
- Sow grass seed in the path areas
- Dig some manure into the bed areas
- Sow green manure to be dug in next spring
- Build a compost bin, see if I can get some free pallets to build it

Does the above look OK, any other advice? How many beds should I plan on creating for the half plot?

Many Thanks in advance.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Brand new allotment
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 21:41 »
Welcome to the site and your new lotty  :D

You have several months to get your head round the plot, so don't feel pressured by anyone else's plans or activities.

Your list of tasks looks a good one.  Make sure you know where the sun shines, and any drainage issues which might occur - see if it puddles badly after a heavy spell of rain.

Personally I'd avoid grass on paths until you know for sure that you'll want permanent paths and where they should be.

Avoid manure on the beds which will have carrots and turnips for next year.

I'm in two minds about the green manure suggestion.  Depending on what was previously in the field, I suspect that you will run the risk of grassland regrowing.  It will be difficult to dig in green manure if there are still perennial weeds.  On the other hand, green manure will protect the earth over winter and add some organic matter.  See if anyone else has a view on this.

If you want to avoid walking on the beds, the suggestion is that they are no more than about 4' x 10'. 

I'd prioritise the compost bin once you've decided where to put it - get stuff into it as soon as you can.

And take lots of photos - it's great to look back on progress.

If you click on Growing Help near the top of the page there's loads of articles to browse which may give you some inspiration.  Or John's books are also really helpful.

Enjoy!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

GreenOwl

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 14:09 »
Hi,

How many beds?  As many as will fit!

You are exactly where I was 6 months ago - 125 sq m on brand new site.  The layout sounds the same as well.  Our plots are long and thin.  5mx25m.  So I have 12x1.2mx4.5m beds.  2 beds are for permanent crops (soft fruit).  The remaining 10 I look at as 5 pairs and I'm planning a 5-year crop rotation for.  There's space at the end for compost bins, a willow den for the kids and a shed - as and when we get permission.

Your plan sounds great.  Also work out what you want to grow (sounds obvious but don't grow stuff you won't eat) and plan your crop rotation.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/crop-rotation/index.php

Cheers

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 16:55 »
Congratulations :).  Believe me, it may look big to start with, but before the end of your second season, you will be looking for more land to cultivate.  I started off with a half plot, and thought of what I could fill it with.  The first year, I had some space, the second year, I borrowed a small bit of someone's plot who had not been on it for years (this was a few years ago, when no one really wanted to take up an allotment).  I now have a full plot, and I completely filled that up.   Once you have (possibly) fruit bushes and other stuff that will be permenantly, the area starts shrinking :D
Babs

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 19:29 »
Well done on getting the new plot. It's fantastic that it is freshly and finely ploughed.
Also, perfect timing because you've got the whole of autumn and winter to plan, set-out your beds and get the manure in. Planning is the key! And keep the beds no more than 1.2m wide.

Enjoy the next few months. The first few months are very exciting and it just gets better.  :D

st0ne5ish

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 21:00 »
Thanks for all the replies  :) I've planned on paper where I want things.

This weekend will be marking out, digging manure into my soft fruit bed and putting all the strawberry runners in i've been growing at home as they are quite big in their pots now.

Going to have five main beds (with sub beds) following a 4 year rotation, I found a good planning link here if anyone else is in the same position:

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/allotment/allotment-rotation-2.asp

Then over the next month just mainly going to concentrate on getting as much manure in as possible except the carrots and turnip beds as advised  :)

Cheers

michellela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 00:33 »
I've had my plot* for a couple of months and I agree with the previous post, it IS exciting.  Mine was somewhat overgrown but i'm slowly getting there.  I hoping to follow the same rotational plan that you posted a link to and think I've decided what I'm going to grow in my first season proper.

Actually, I was so excited to get something growing that I planted a few turnips, radishes, pak choi and some lettuce.  I didn't expect them to do too well with how late they went in but they're going great guns (the bits that aren't being chomped by slugs at least).

I think the suggestion of taking pictures is a good one so you can see how far you've come when you look back next year.

*I get a kick out of saying the words "my plot"... I'm not normal!

Anyhoo, good luck with your new plot.  I look forward to seeing pictures.  And here was mine on day one:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/michl_007/4763989479/

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 08:45 »

*I get a kick out of saying the words "my plot"... I'm not normal!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michl_007/4763989479/

You are quite wrong. As you get to know the forum better, you will realise, more and more, quite how normal you are. :D

st0ne5ish

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 17:11 »
First real day of blood, sweat, wet and tears on the allotment today, well I never cried but I did get a soaking and sliced my thumb.

Marked everything out, dug manure in the soft fruit bed and planted out all the Strawberry runners I've been growing at home, I was soaked, muddy and hungry but I feel like a real allotment person now, is there a better word  :) ?

It dosnt look so huge now it's all marked out, hmm wonder if I can get another half plot.....  :D

I wasn't quite the first person to plant something out in the new allotments but almost, there were some other crazy people there as well.

I need to remember to bring the camera next time! Wish I had a shed as well....
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 17:15 by st0ne5ish »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 17:31 »
Beds/sub-beds - it's doesn't have to be that complicated, you know!

Sticking to areas, as per the link you provided is sufficent.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

st0ne5ish

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 21:20 »
Beds/sub-beds - it's doesn't have to be that complicated, you know!

Sticking to areas, as per the link you provided is sufficent.

Yeah I get a bit carried away in the planning stages, I had created an excel drawing with exact measurements and started to get a bit stressed on the plot when things didn't add up  :D Must be some form of OCD!

Going to take a bit more of a relaxed approach now.

question
Brand new allotment

Started by BatterBits on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 22:24
by Yorkie
xx
BRAND NEW ALLOTMENT?

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2008, 13:13
by Apostrophes
xx
Brand new bed - but what can i put in it now?

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 13:23
by peapod
xx
Brand new out the box Gardener

Started by llINDA on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 14, 2012, 17:57
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 40 queries.