which rose?

• 6 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
which rose?
« on: October 10, 2012, 15:32 »
This winter I'm putting up some trellis in the garden to screen my sitting area from the public pathway - obviously it will be the perfect place for a nicely perfumed climbing rose  :D

I quite like the look of either Gertrude Jekyll, Coral Dawn or Great Maiden's Blush..............has anybody grown any of them?

Perfume level and pros and cons would be helpful please  ;)

compostqueen

Re: which rose?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 16:03 »
Well, I had a Gertie on my trellis and I loved it. Vigorous, but no too much so, and always healthy and such a deep pink.  Some times you just need a good solid pink instead of a washed out one and this fits the bill. Not really a climber so will never get out of hand. I'd definitely recommend it  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 18:24 »
I found Coral Dawn to be  very lightly scented tbh

Hope that helps
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

ivor mace

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 20:58 »
This winter I'm putting up some trellis in the garden to screen my sitting area from the public pathway - obviously it will be the perfect place for a nicely perfumed climbing rose  :D

I quite like the look of either Gertrude Jekyll, Coral Dawn or Great Maiden's Blush..............has anybody grown any of them?

Perfume level and pros and cons would be helpful please  ;)

Try Generous Gardener, Pink, Semi Double, Nice Scent, Grow to 8ft, Very Healthy.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 14:31 »
Besides looking at your postings, you need to look at the vigour of the rose you want. I may be wrong, but doesn't Gt. Maiden's Blush grow very big? Also, some are repeat-flowering, others are not. Do you want less but big flowers ot more smaller ones? Scent is variable as to the person and the time of day. I have a rambler called "Sander's White" which, though I found it was too vigorous for where I planted it, it kind of repeat-flowers, but the perfume made me think of the most expensive soap you could buy and, on a humid summer's evening, it was glorious!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 16:46 »
Great Maidens Blush is a lax shrub that can be grown as a short climber, so not huge  ;)

I really can't make up my mind whether to have lots of early flowers and plant a clematis for later or to have fewer flowers but over a longer period  :nowink:

It must however be strongly perfumed - that's the main requirement!

Your rose sounds lovely but I already have a white one Mme Alfred Carriere on the house wall :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 14:11 »
Ah - then how about a hybrid musk rose like Felicia (mmmm - perfume) or Buff Beauty (mmm - tea-rose perfume, but elusive) or any rose that can be used as a small pillar climber. For perfume, Gertrude Jeykll and Felicia would be my best suggestions. They have a main flush in June, then again in August-September. If you prune them correctly, you can have lots of flowers, plus a cunning clematis to fill in the little gap whilst they are gearing up for the next show. I would look at rose catalogues and books to make your short-list and tick the ones that consistently get 3 stars for perfume. I have a book called "Gardening with Old Roses" by John Scarman which is very good for their siting, feed, pruning, and also a comprehensive cover of all types of roses for all sorts of situations.

xx
Planting New Rose on Old Rose Site

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 20:24
by sion01
xx
Which rose would you not be without?

Started by GYO Girl on General Gardening

39 Replies
Last post March 14, 2015, 08:56
by jaydig
xx
The best rose

Started by Grubbypaws on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post November 15, 2015, 11:58
by mumofstig
xx
Which Rose??

Started by sarah-king on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 20:43
by sarah-king

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 35 queries.