Cucumber

• 8 Replies

mrs bouquet

Cucumber
« on: July 27, 2009, 21:49 »
Have been growing them in the greenhouse in growbags, and 4 of them are ready, they are very long and straight, very tasty and they don't have a poly-tube wrapped around them !!!   We shall have to eat them quickly, as there are lots more coming up behind this lot.     I am really, really pleased.  regards,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Yabba

Re: Cucumber
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 22:09 »
WOW, you can get cucumbers that don't have a poly wrapper? ... well I'll be damned!

Unfortunately, my cucs so far have been bitter  as hell :( guts me to say that the plastic wrapped cr@p tastes better than mine :'(

Enjoy them, and try not to feel to guilty as you think of me with my failed cucs ;)

¥

Spana

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 22:11 »
Lucky you :) My one in the greenhouse has red spider mite >:(

Yabba

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 22:20 »
*splutters* don't mention red spider mite, still fighting them in potting shed ( where chilli's are ) ... weirdly they only seemed to hit the sweet peppers and marys jommander

¥

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 22:27 »
Well done Mrs B i've just cut my 2nd :) strange year, got lots of cues coming but not a single properly ripe tomato. Cut a couple only just there really and a bit too sharp even for me :(
I think the cues are dealing with the weather better than the toms  :unsure:

peterjf

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 00:23 »
spray as for blight  for red spider mite in your greenhouses , they will die in AGONY       

ha ha ha ha ha

Brambles

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 21:32 »
I feel very lucky as I have had cucumbers for months in the greenhouse, have not had to buy one since begining of April.   Sadly they are slowing down now, lots of mildew on larger leaves (spraying with milk/water helps)...   I just wish there was a later variety that would carry me through a few more months.   I don't use growbags any longer, but huge pots full of compost, I find that works much better :)

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 22:57 »
Brambles - I'm growing cukes for the first time and they are only just beginning to form into fruit.

I'm trialling two - one in the greenhouse which is in an old bucket with the bottom cut out, which is planted into the indoor bed and then filled with compost. It got off to a flying start and is a good 5ft high, but only about three fruit are showing so far, the largest of which is maybe six inches.

The second was started off insode and then moved outside into a large container when we had some good weather. It was very sorry for itself for a while, and even now is only about three feet high - but it has possibly seven or eight fruit on it, which all look healthier than the ones in the greenhouse.

I'm theorising that a) moving it outside strengthened it; and b) it's had more (and more consistent) watering from the rain. But it's all guesswork!

Obviously this sounds like a lter variety - I'll go and check which one it is in the morning and post back.
Veg? That's chips, innit?

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 23:22 »
WOW, you can get cucumbers that don't have a poly wrapper? ... well I'll be damned!

Unfortunately, my cucs so far have been bitter  as hell :( guts me to say that the plastic wrapped cr@p tastes better than mine :'(

Enjoy them, and try not to feel to guilty as you think of me with my failed cucs ;)

¥

you probably have a variety that has both male and female flowers, you need to remove the male ones (they dont have a tiny cue behind them) as if they fertilise the female fruits they will be bitter...
Death OR Cake ???

xx
Is this my first cucumber?

Started by gremlin on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 08:22
by Griffete
xx
cucumber

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2017, 20:04
by DD.
xx
cucumber

Started by doug hutch on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 22:54
by Paul Plots
xx
more cucumber help please

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 17:50
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 30 queries.