sweet William and wallflowers

• 4 Replies

rowlandwells

sweet William and wallflowers
« on: November 07, 2019, 19:31 »
because of very wet weather and the waterlogged ground on the allotments  we are unable to plant out both our sweet William and wallflower plants and its likely we will be unable to plant out till spring now

so because we have always planted both sweet William and wallflowers before the wet weather set in  I'm unsure if we can leave the pants in the rows before pulling and planting in the spring hopefully then  the ground will dry out enough to plant

can anyone give me some advise on this topic replies appreciated RW

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: sweet William and wallflowers
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 08:20 »
I'd move them as soon as you can, unless the ground is literally under water. If you leave them growing until spring you'll be disturbing all the roots when you transplant, just as they're getting ready to flower -  flowering might not be as good :(

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 17:00 »
 I can see where your coming from Mum but the ground is so  sodden it would be imposable to even think about walking on it let alone planting

it looks like I mite have to  leave  the plants in a row till spring  and chance the flowering that mite not be so good ?

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 17:09 »
It's a rotten quandary you're faced with Rowland, but at the risk of sounding flippant, we resorted to using duck boards along the rows in very wet conditions, just to save a few plants where we could.

As Sweet Williams are biennial, they won't care much for moving in the spring, but could you pop them into deep pots/trays this time?

Just a few pots here and there make such a difference, and we always grow Wallflowers (Sugar Rush) this way as well.

Of course, if you have a lot, then this may not be a helpful answer!

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 19:20 »
yes I was thinking about doing that Growster but we unfortunately have quite a lot to pot up so its not really going to solve the problem but  good thinking and because we would have to use the tractor to get the duck boards to the plot again it would really make a mess of both the grass field we have to cross to get to the allotments and the allotment road its self

I have had to stop taking my horse manure down the allotments with the tractor because of the mess its making its a pain because I'm having to store the manure in another place till spring meaning I have to handle the manure twice

anyway thanks for your suggestions that in normal conditions would be the best solution to sorting  the problem

xx
SWEET WILLIAM

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post September 04, 2018, 14:27
by rowlandwells
xx
Sweet William

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 16, 2011, 11:15
by Elaine G
xx
sweet william

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 07, 2019, 08:14
by rowlandwells
xx
sweet william

Started by shaun on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post October 14, 2007, 18:34
by gobs

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.