Has to be the best garden SALE in the world........ ever!

• 20 Replies

apywell

The news here in Derby is that 2 B&Qs are closing to make way for the biggest B&Q store in the country.  So, the 2 that are closing down are just about giving things away.  I have been over this morning and purchased 6 rolls of roofing felt at £3 each and 4 full lengh corrigated plastic sheets for £4 each.  So no excuses for not fixing the roofs of the shed and potting shed. :roll:

But these are the best buys I have had......

Weedol liquid weedkiller with the attached gun was retailing for just under £10 was reduced to £5, but when at the checkout was told they were further reduced to £1.   :shock:    I was told that all the bottles with spray gun attachments were reduced to £1.  So I purchased 5.   :wink:   One leading branded bottle of weedkiller had a retail price of £17.50 and was reduced to £1.  There is no expiry date and we have lots of weeds at the moment on our allotment.  The spray gun attachments means individual weeds can be targeted and it kills them to the root.  

But that's not all.  I had been looking out for the irrigation system that works right out of a water butt.  They should have been £20, was reduced to £10.  But when I was at the checkout it was further reduced to £5....  so I got another.  Most of the items was half price but then reduced even further at checkout.  They will even let you name a price if there is no price on it.  

Plant food is also reduced, the grow bags that were half price have all gone.  I think they were going for 60p each.  

I have also just purchased a Sankey Electric Plant Propagator that I saw on a shelf but without box.  The plug had its safety cap on it and was spotless.  I went over to one of the guys and asked him how much I could have it for.....  He thought about it and asked for £1.  They retail for about £15.   :D

The 2 old B&Qs have to be out of their old stores by the 6th of Feb......  This has to be the sale of the century.....
Committee member and Treasurer. Oh and maintain our website.....

splodger

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 14:42 »
lucky old you - i am a bit far away - but a very good tip for those close by  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 16:57 »
You lucky lucky man!!!!!!  too far for me too!!!!

wildeone

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 17:49 »
Why am I never near these wonderful sales!!!  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  And why don't jimmy choo's ever have one!!!  :wink:

Well done tho' what a bargin!!!

wighty

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 18:07 »
i bought a pair of stilettos at Tesco's this week reduced to a fiver - suggested we went somewhere today that I could wear them but was told we were going to the lottie!

Selkie

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 18:11 »
:shock: You can buy shoes at Tesco?

wildeone

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 18:43 »
Quote from: "Selkie"
:shock: You can buy shoes at Tesco?
Honestly Rose darling where do you live???? You can buy everything at tesco!!!!! I go in for milk and come out with an outfit shoes matching earrings and tea bags ..... no milk :roll:  :lol:  Ours even sell TV's, Bedding, Toys, Gym equipment and furniture........ No wonder when Tesco sets up in a town small businesses struggle  :?

Selkie

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 18:57 »
Our Tesco isn't really THAT big but it does sell clothes, must have a better look at it next time...

wildeone

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 19:01 »
Quote from: "Selkie"
Our Tesco isn't really THAT big but it does sell clothes, must have a better look at it next time...
Ours is huge and even tho' you can buy anything i really hate shopping in there!

Selkie

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 19:09 »
I think we've only ever got food from there, but now we're over here it's a once in a blue moon happening...though we are going to Tralee this week so we might pop in

gobs

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 19:15 »
And Derby is not that far.... Thanks, mate, whatever you would like to be called for short? :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

wighty

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 19:48 »
I'm a small retailer - DIY and Gardening and  the llikes of Tesos have killed us so although I shop there for our weekly shop I don't likeit.

wighty

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 19:54 »
I can guess what is going to happen soon - the males ar going to get on here to ask how a thread on saving money has  spread to shoes etc

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 11:43 »
That's so tempting - it would be around £20 worth of fuel to get there and back.  I could really do with some chicken wire...

wighty - bad news for smal retailers I  can imagine.  All the garden centres round here seem to have turned into cafes with gift shops and the occasional high value stuff like furniture etc.  But the ones that have the best quality plants seem to be the ones that people go back to and have a good reputation, also the ones with the most knowledgeable staff.  The ones that are run by teenagers at the weekend who don't know how to replace a till roll  :roll: are going to suffer.

mashauk

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 22:53 »
One of the reasons I don't like them selling everything is the old saying jack of all trades, master of none, you can't get advice you have to know exactly what you're looking for or they look blankly at you.  Even at B&Q they're useless (well at mine anyway).  We were at Homebase with my elderly parents the other day and they wanted to buy a new bed but wanted to make sure they would take the old one away, not surprisingly they won't, they're not really a furniture shop, but the guy was rude and just said no, so my mum started thanking him and I said why are you thanking him, we'll just take our custom to a shop that says yes!

xx
b & q greenhouse sale....

Started by potatopotato on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post October 02, 2007, 22:07
by mkhenry
xx
garage sale bargain or not?

Started by muntjac on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post January 30, 2007, 21:17
by muntjac
xx
Which rotovator???? Any for sale? Advice needed

Started by Southmead on Equipment Shed

22 Replies
Last post June 09, 2006, 09:48
by Southmead
xx
old grey ferguson tractor for sale aprox a grand

Started by muntjac on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 10:10
by JayG

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 33 queries.