jersey royals

• 9 Replies

sam51

jersey royals
« on: August 08, 2019, 18:28 »
hi all. grew jersey royals this year, started digging them up in June, still got a lot in the ground, first lot  boiled nice and stayed solid, now they just turn to mush, so what's the best early /salad potatoes to grow  and store well, that don't turn to mush, I like to have new potatoes till end of August , then start to dig up my late potatoes.help.

jaydig

Re: jersey royals
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 18:34 »
This year I've grown a variety of potatoes, and they have all started to disintegrate when boiled, so I can only assume it's something to do the the weather conditions we've had this year. Mine are Ulster Price, Orla, Kestrel, Swift and a couple of other varieties, whose names escape me at the moment (it's an age thing!).
They are probably better steamed, but I haven't tried it yet.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 08:45 »
I've grown Jazzy this year and am still digging now as new potatoes.  They are starting to get larger, but are good flavoured and very productive.   I will grow them again  :)

Another good one is Kifli.  I haven't grown these this year, but have in the past.  This matures late so you can dig as new potatoes over the summer and then leave the rest to mature as a main crop if you want to.  They store really well and are not quite new potatoes, but do give you that solid waxy textured potato over the winter as an alternative to the more floury types.  You need a first or second early in addition to tide you over with these though.   They are nowhere near ready before end June/early July.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 13:12 »
I've grown Jazzy this year and am still digging now as new potatoes.  They are starting to get larger, but are good flavoured and very productive.   I will grow them again  :)
I would definitely chose Jazzy. I grow them every year and basically you can harvest them when you want, as first or second earlies or early mains. I started off with 10 potato bags worth and have still got three to harvest. AND they taste great  :D

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 13:15 »
Ill have to try Jazzy next year, then.  If they can produce a good, tasty crop with the variation in weather conditions we've had this year, they're definitely worth a try.

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 22:18 »
Ill have to try Jazzy next year, then.  If they can produce a good, tasty crop with the variation in weather conditions we've had this year, they're definitely worth a try.
Another vote for Jazzy.  They have done really well for me this year.  No slug damage either.  Also a shout out for Red Duke of York, they also get larger if left to grow bigger.   Excellent roasted.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 10:54 »
Another good one is Kifli.  I haven't grown these this year, but have in the past.  This matures late so you can dig as new potatoes over the summer and then leave the rest to mature as a main crop if you want to.  They store really well and are not quite new potatoes, but do give you that solid waxy textured potato over the winter as an alternative to the more floury types.  You need a first or second early in addition to tide you over with these though.   They are nowhere near ready before end June/early July.

Thank you for this New Shoot. I have just looked Sarpo Kifli up and they look superb.

'Sarpo has until recently had a name for developing main crop, high dry matter potatoes.  Kifli changes all that.  A creamy fleshed and waxy potato that fits the salad and boiled requirement that many home gardeners seek.  Kifli still has great late blight resistance, a very useful characteristic for an early main crop.  Kiflis claim to fame is that it has a wonderful new potato flavour that remains right through the summer and autumn and can be kept until spring'.

I will definitely try them next year  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 17:49 »
Kifli grow very tall and have the vigorous leaf growth of the Sarpo types, so give them main crop type spacing Grubbypaws. 

I got loads though and they kept right through until spring, with only the odd mouldy one chucked out.  You can feel pretty smug having your own store of salad potatoes through winter, when the shops have only bland and expensive imports  :)

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 18:30 »
yes had a nice crop of international kidney [jersey royals] for both boiling and salad also had good results from growing Charlotte for both taste and quality a very nice salad potato

Mr Dog

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 20:21 »

Thank you for this New Shoot. I have just looked Sarpo Kifli up and they look superb.

'Sarpo has until recently had a name for developing main crop, high dry matter potatoes.  Kifli changes all that.  A creamy fleshed and waxy potato that fits the salad and boiled requirement that many home gardeners seek.  Kifli still has great late blight resistance, a very useful characteristic for an early main crop.  Kiflis claim to fame is that it has a wonderful new potato flavour that remains right through the summer and autumn and can be kept until spring'.

I will definitely try them next year  :D

I'll second New Shoot's recommendations for both Jazzy and Kifli. We were eating last year's Kiflis into this April. This year I've grown both in 30L pots (2 seeds per pot) which yielded:
Jazzy - 1.2Kg/tuber (as 2nd early)
Kifli - 1.2Kg/ tuber (as 2nd early), 1.7Kg/tuber (as maincrop from 1st harvested pot)

xx
jersey royals

Started by wilton grange on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 08:31
by Yorkie
xx
Jersey Royals

Started by ranat22 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 19, 2012, 16:37
by DD.
xx
Jersey royals (international kidney)

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 17, 2012, 21:01
by snowdrops
xx
Kidney seed potatoes (aka jersey royals) planting space.

Started by paramac52 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 16, 2018, 22:50
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 49 queries.