Shed

• 22 Replies

noshed

shed
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 18:15 »
Got the b&q £99 special today - not the strongest thing I've ever seen but I think it will be quite easy to strengthen it using my immense carpentry skills and possibly some different hammers.
Hope to get it up at the weekend, which should revolutionise my allotmenting - everything is in Tesco bags at the moment and mostly stashed under an old water tank.
Everyone at work thinks I've gone completely bonkers - but they are enquiring when they can start sampling the produce...
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Shed
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 18:33 »
You'll be installing RSJs in there next. :)

On a more serious note - if you suffer with theft on the site - and I hope you don't - you can buy an 'anchor' from Wickes that you sink into the ground and attach the shed to it . That way they can't nick it.  Other thing I use is bike locks attached to a wooden bar in the shed. It won't hold them up for ever but maybe would slow them enough that they give up and move on.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

noshed

shed
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 20:44 »
Yes I was thinking along the bike chain lines - involving the adjacent concrete fence post if possible. It's on the Colditz scale so it should be hefty enough.

noshed

shed
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 10:31 »
Got it from B&Q to the site this morning before work in a blizzard. Fortunately my friend has an estate car with a roof rack and is quite strong!
Hope the weather improves for the weekend.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Shed
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 10:44 »
Best of luck - it's wet snow here.

My brother in law helped me put the shed up on the plot. Just before we got the roof on it bucketed down with really cold rain.

He doesn't come around much nowadays... don't know why.

noshed

shed
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2006, 10:00 »
It's up and it's fairly straight!
Ripped the roof felt a bit but other than that it went OK. Just need to strengthen some of the less hefty bits and I'm in business. At last I've been able to get some of the junk out of the boot.
Hooray!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Shed
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2006, 10:31 »
I don't know how I ever managed without my shed - now it is chock a block with stuff - and I need it all :)

Great feeling when you close the door, isn't it?

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Shed
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 11:10 »
Gnome I am in a similar predicament although I have the front half of a shed to start with - the rest is pretty much gone.  I've been spending the last while creeping around building sites and gathering fence posts etc.  The idea is to build the frame with the fence posts and other bits of timber that I can get my hands on and concrete that in to begin with.  Then hopefully get a hold of some plywood to create the walls.  Not sure what I'll do for windows but if I can get old window frames I'll use that.  Corrugated PVC for the roof and I'll fix some guttering to collect the rainwater.  I'm hoping to buy only the bare minimum of timber and spend money on the roof, guttering, sand/cement and wood preservative.  I'm also considering using cement render on the walls to finish it off.

Just out of interest what site are you on?

xx
shed

Started by razzmick on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 22:39
by Chrysalis
xx
Got a shed!

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 12, 2007, 13:14
by muntjac
xx
New Shed....what do you think

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 09:16
by mikem
xx
Who's shed is it?

Started by carol2711 on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 10:28
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 38 queries.