Compostabin plastic compost bin

• 5 Replies

Seagull

Compostabin plastic compost bin
« on: October 22, 2020, 09:46 »
Hello - this is a really dumb question, so please don't make fun of me.  I have just taken over an allotment which includes this Compostabin plastic compost bin.  I cannot get the lid off!  It turns but nothing seems to happen.  I don't want to pull too hard for fear of breaking it.  The bin is in decent condition so I was planning on keeping it.

Many thanks for any suggestions.
Compost bin.jpg
Compost bin lid.jpg

Nobbie

Re: Compostabin plastic compost bin
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 13:10 »
It’s probably one of two types, the first you have to turn to line up the lid with cutouts in the base that allow you to lift it off. Try rotating while pulling gently upward until the cutouts engage. These usually have a handle on each side of the lid. The other type is just held in place because the lid is slightly smaller than the lip on the base. For these you just need to apply some force and off they’ll pop. Try approach one first and if no joy then just give it a good tug.

Seagull

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 06:48 »
Thank you, Nobbie!  There were no alignment cutouts, so I used brute force.

Evan Roth

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 05:36 »
Hi, you both (or anyone that reads this)—we have two of these Compostabins in the backyard of the house we just started renting.  I can't seem to find instructions for them anywhere.  Do either of you (or anyone else) know where I could find some? They both have stuff in them already, but I'm not sure how long it's been in there for.

Thanks,
Evan

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 10:40 »
It doesn't really matter how long stuff has been in there, it's what state it's in that's important. If the materials are recognizable still then it's not finished composting.
If it's basically like soil, then it's done.
I found with the dustbin type composters that emptying and refilling usually restarted the process and finished off the compost. Easy way to empty the whole bin was to lift it up leaving the material behind and then refill rather than trying to get it all out from a little door at the bottom.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Evan Roth

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 00:59 »
Great, thanks for the info!

Evan

It doesn't really matter how long stuff has been in there, it's what state it's in that's important. If the materials are recognizable still then it's not finished composting.
If it's basically like soil, then it's done.
I found with the dustbin type composters that emptying and refilling usually restarted the process and finished off the compost. Easy way to empty the whole bin was to lift it up leaving the material behind and then refill rather than trying to get it all out from a little door at the bottom.

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
xx
Re-using plastic over potatoes

Started by Lizum on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 22:27
by DD.

Page created in 0.562 seconds with 45 queries.