Horsetail, asparagus and square metre gardening!

• 2 Replies

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
Horsetail, asparagus and square metre gardening!
« on: April 29, 2014, 08:52 »
I've been reading the 'Square metre gardening book' and thought I might have a go on my allotment. I want to grow asparagus and was worried about the horsetail invading and disturbing it. I've got an old single wardrobe and I'm thinking about removing the door and putting it on it's back  on the allotment as an alternative to building my own raised bed that can be costly. I'll have to put drainage holes in, not sure how many season it will last. Obviously it won't be a 'square' metre but probably a similar size. Not sure if I'll start with asparagus but if I do how deep does it need to be? The square metre gardening is generally only 6 inches deep (probably due to the cost of making the 'mix') but can be deeper for plant needing it.
The 'mix' is one third vermiculite, one third peat moss and one third compost. Apparently you only ever add compost to it afterwards (each time you crop) so although using peat moss is not very pc it's a one off. I found vermiculite for 100litre, delivered and moss peat 100litre £17.75 delivered. Does anyone know where I could get it for less? I can drive to get it of it saves cost.
I'd be interested if anyone has any experience with this, I've found some thread about square foot gardening that the same thing but they are quite old.
My favourite weed is a raspberry ;)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: Horsetail, asparagus and square metre gardening!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 08:58 »
Asparagus will grow for 25 years in the same spot but your cupboard will rot away in a few years...

Marestail will grow through he cupboard sides and bottom ... well almost... as it's a blighter. Just plant your asparagus in a bed and pull the marestail when you see it.

To me buying peat etc to fill raised beds it totally too expensive.. just use soil and compost and manure.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

moose

• Experienced Member
Re: Horsetail, asparagus and square metre gardening!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:23 »
There is no need to use "Mel's Mix", any mix of soil, compost, manure etc. will do. I think you also have to remember that this system was devised for use in the USA where light levels can be much higher than in UK and you need to choose your and grow plants carefully. I've seen a bed where spinach was next to carrots and shaded them out so much they did not grow. I've also seen a number of well managed beds so I'm not saying its not a valid way of growing, just need to choose your plants carefully.

xx
Square Foot Gardening

Started by Katieb on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 11:23
by compostqueen
xx
square foot gardening.

Started by digalotty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 21:15
by digalotty
xx
Square foot gardening

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 14, 2009, 20:25
by Riala
xx
Anybody tried square foot gardening

Started by blue on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 16, 2007, 16:48
by Hopalong

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 33 queries.