Log splitting, Log Pile Design and Seasoning Questions

• 7 Replies

grinling

Log splitting, Log Pile Design and Seasoning Questions
« on: February 01, 2012, 20:47 »
The first 2 carloads of logs were already seasoned so just went straight into the polytunnel. After chatting up a landscape gardener he has been supplying us with felled trees, usually another arrives just as we have finished sorting out the last one!
So we started stacking our green split logs into 'bays' created with pallets for the floor and walls (I figured they would keep air flowing & off the floor) and the back being the boundary fence panels with wriggly tin or somesuch on top. But is this too deep & will it take longer to dry? Also where the boundary goes to a point we have one big triangular pile, again, sat on a pallet with a tarp over it, not very neat and tidy but does this make a difference in seasoning time? 6, 12 or 24 months I have read on various websites.
log pile in corner small.jpg

compostqueen

Re: Log splitting, Log Pile Design and Seasoning Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 00:04 »
Stacked against the back fence might restrict the airflow through the stack somewhat.  Cut logs can be left out in the open to age for a bit until they begin to crack and split and then they can be stacked under cover to season. Apparently best stacked facing south.  Those stacked up against your fence might not get much air round them.  They take about 18 months before they're ready to use but some could take less, it depends on the tree species.  If you knock two logs together and they sound hollow and feel light then they'll be ready

grinling

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 14:44 »
Thanks for this, I know what my chore is for tomorrow  :D

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 16:41 »
I like the mindlessness of stacking wood. The hours just fly by  :D

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 19:06 »
As long as your logs aren't actually against the fence, and preferably about a foot away, they'll be fine. Air can still move around them. We leave our split wood for a year, and after that we tarp the top to keep it dry. It's usually so dry by then that it wicks up water like sponges so best to keep it dry and ready.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 19:35 »
 on this subject I've been laying really big hedge with many ash saplings about a foot across some a bit thicker so I've been cutting a lot of those saplings out cut up they will make lovely logs i must say cutting this wood is  making the chain saw work

when we get our wood burning stove installed next month we will benefit  more next year using the wood as you say the wood will have time to  dry out i don't know if i should log the wood up before storing i mite borrow my mates portable saw bench

grinling

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 20:25 »
Hubby does the chainsaw and chopping, I do the sawing of smaller branches. Kept me warm in the snow today!!

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 23:17 »
I would log it up before storing as it's easier to stack if it's the right size

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 38 queries.